Car Prices

Page 1 / 2
clark20, Apr 7, 4:14am
I am looking at a new Commodore Redline (List$76,000) and I can get a pre-reg 2014 for $60,000 (new - 78Km). I also may be able to get the 2300km 2015 for the same price. BUT the Kiwi $$ just went 1-1 with the Aussie$$, and the list over there at less than AU$55K. Are we likely to see them drop in price here?

attitudedesignz, Apr 7, 4:20am
Will never happen.

monaro17, Apr 7, 4:34am
Nope, Holden NZ are some of the greediest buggers out. I read a report when AUS slashed the prices of the VF when it was released and Holden NZ refused to pass on any savings to us. They made up some rubbish about RRPs meaning different things in AUS vs NZ.

franc123, Apr 7, 4:36am
You wouldn't buy the brand new one that is already here, you'd buy the pre reg one or the demo. It isn't really economic to buy one from an Aussie dealer and bring it over when either of those two could be bought drive away now for 60. You'd want their GST taken off the price for a start but whether they would do that or not is another question.

clark20, Apr 7, 4:44am
Thanks, oh well once in a lifetime purchase , might as well be happy with it.

tamarillo, Apr 7, 10:16am
You will be, it's a bloody good car. Had a company sportswagon vf and it exceeded all my expectations of it.

mals69, Apr 7, 10:37am
$76000 for a dunnydore ? World gone mad ? Hired a VF for a week - was not impressed with way it tracked round roundabouts, handling never been a Holden strong point
and looks like nothing has changed. Surely you can do
better Clark for the dollars ?

sw20, Apr 7, 9:28pm
+1

That is demo Lexus IS350 money. So much more car for the money.

robotnik, Apr 7, 9:53pm
The Commodore is the last of its type and a future collector's item that will only appreciate in value. The Lexus will certainly hold its value similar to how even now 90s Altezzas fetch good money, but it won't have the appeal of the last Australian made Holden.

brapbrap8, Apr 7, 10:03pm
The handling of a cheapo hire car doesn't have much in common with the SS-V Redline which has completely different suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres.
Sort of like me saying a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X won't be any good because my cheapo 2L CVT powered lancer isn't very quick.

The good handling of performance Commodores is pretty well recognised, look at any magazine comparison review and virtually every tester rates them as streets ahead of an equivalent Falcon.
New XR8 will go well, it is an ugly duck though.

monaro17, Apr 7, 10:09pm
Handling hasn't been a commodore strong point?

I think you need to read a few reviews. ALL of them since the start of the ve have praised it's often world beating handling

mals69, Apr 8, 2:31am
It was a 2014 sv6 with 15k on the clock - hardly a base model. World beating handling ? Beat an M3 would it ?
Granted SS Clubbie may better but their sports model V6 should
be able to foot it better than it does - even 92 corolla sedan would teach it a thing or too. Was great on gas but suspension
was not upto carrying all that fruit - with an sv6 not being a cheap car dare say most would also expect better. Reviews go on about the giant leap in handling from the VE to the VF - crikey what's a VE V6 like then ?

monaro17, Apr 8, 2:32am
Oh dear. A fresh one

tgray, Apr 8, 2:38am
Why do you need world beating handling?
Just how fast do you really want to take that corner?

mals69, Apr 8, 2:43am
A fresh one remark from a Holden fan - no surprises ! World beating handling was not put up by me.

monaro17, Apr 8, 5:20am
An old Monaro fan yes. ;) if you kept the remark in the context it was made then it is correct. No a VE/VF is not up to M3/M5/E63 etc standards but the overwhelming majority of the reviews put the handling over and above the likes of a 'mainstream' Passat, 5 series, E Class, Mondeo, etc etc.

this is the problem with these discussions, it is so hard to gauge the tone and context a comment is made in, no you don't need to go 150km/h around a corner but the handling of a Falcon/Commodore is very very good for the size and weight- as much as it pains the Aussie car bashers to hear it mentioned.

monaro17, Apr 8, 5:25am
OP- Here is a quote out of a Stuff article today.

Regarding near price parity

"The Kiwi's boosted buying power means chocolate lovers, Holden fans, and those who enjoy a glass of Aussie red all stand to benefit, with more than $6 billion worth of Australian goods imported across the Tasman each year."

mals69, Apr 8, 5:52am
Yeah trouble with these discussions is someone previously makes a bold claim of world beater and another comes in and says what a load of shite.
The latter gets attacked for saying what a load of shite.
Yes they ok dunnydores but not great - I do not give lot of heed to these car reviewers - who the f.ck are they anyway half the time - some pen pusher writing for a car mag to make money.
I go by my own experience - good handling cars go where your eyes go - not have to make corrections throughout the driving line on roundabouts with average camber.
Its only my opinion - you may think the particular model I spoke of drives fantastic.

monaro17, Apr 8, 5:57am
Yea righto.

mals69, Apr 8, 6:21am
Keep sipping on your tui thinking how you can create
world domination of making everyone think a holden is
the greatest thing since the proverbial.
Got a mate who is a holden fan - hates ford with a vengeance,
over the top passion. I couldn't give a flying f.ck what badge is on
the front - how they perform Yes !

clark20, Apr 8, 6:41am
What and feel sick every time I walk up to it? Yuk. I already have a VE V8 with the FE2 suspension (SS) and 20s, and believe me , it handles. Lexus are tarted up Toyotas with no personality. Might as well buy a fridge. So much LESS for your money.

monaro17, Apr 8, 6:59am
go for it. Keep us posted!

mals69, Apr 9, 8:59am
I believe ! "Wouldn't kick a black 2006 - 2008 R8 out of my garage"

timmo1, Apr 10, 2:35am
. then buy 10 of them, sell 9 and you've immediately paid off the one that you want to keep.
Alternatively, these cars won't 'only appreciated in value' and will, instead, depreciate like most other cars.

mals69, Apr 15, 7:22am
Nice action ! Yah go for a spin it snap ya back in ya seat good ? :)