Speedometer on car not working properly

samat, Apr 8, 6:37am
Hi Looking at buying a car but it has a fault with the speedometer sometimes not working(staying at 0 for 5kms or so when first started) Could anyone tell me a rough idea of what it might cost to get this fixed. Thanks

clark20, Apr 8, 6:47am
Well on a Ferrari it could cost $1000 plus to get fixed

samat, Apr 8, 6:56am
Ok not a Ferrari just a 2002 hatchback peugot. Just needing to know if it might be $200$300,$500 or is it going to be not worth it. Thanks

m16d, Apr 8, 7:11am
A peugeot. O god that'll be more than the Ferrari.

muzz67, Apr 8, 7:12am
Not if its a hatchback.

mojo49, Apr 8, 7:28am
Biggest problem is finding some-one who still knows how to find an electrical fault. Had same situation on a 406 Peugeot and most of the cost of repair was in tracing the problem (A tired connector hidden under the dashboard). There seem to be few auto electricians about who can read a wiring diagram, think about a symptom, and then deduce the possible problem. They all seem to want to put test meters on the car and make pronouncements without thinking it through. I had two auto electricians and a mechanic get it wrong before I sat down and worked out where the fault had to be and got it fixed. Easy as when you find the problem before fixing a symptom.

a.woodrow, Apr 8, 8:27am
Could be anywhere from about $100 for a loose or poor connection to 2 or 3k for computer or instrument cluster. Might be worth checking battery terminals in case they are corroded or loose, and make sure battery isn't tired, as voltage problems can cause funny issues

tweake, Apr 8, 10:52am
give robinson instruments a call.

franc123, Apr 8, 11:17am
Ask the seller, they probably have already got an estimate to fix and that's why its now for sale. That problem is pretty typical of a poor electrical joint inside the instrument cluster or a cracked circuit board, could be an easy fix with a soldering iron or could require a whole new one. A Peugeot agent may be able to tell with a scan tool if the cluster is getting a good speed signal or not, or indeed they may know if its a common issue and its fixability.

mrfxit, Mar 22, 12:03pm
Could be as simple as a bit of flaking paint on the speedo dial
Could be almost anything else as well
Sticky cable
Bad electrical connection
Loose plug
Gummed up inside speedo