WANTING TO BUY ARE CAR

arina9, Jun 30, 3:57am
I have been looking out on trade me and papers and local supermarkets for buying cheap cars , as a firstc ar for my son we have 500 dollars cash , but could go to 700 if needed
how do i go about achieving this
tokoroa is a small town doesnot have alot to offer

seadubya, Jun 30, 4:26am
I had a station wagon version of this a few years ago now, it was around 470,000km when I sold it, great, reliable, economical cars with lots of 2nd hand parts available. Apart from consumables (tyres, brakes, fluids, filters etc) the only thing that broke on it was the gearbox every 120,000km or so, if it changes gear well without clunks or slipping it could be a good deal for the price. 2nd hand gearboxes were between $200-$500 depending on the mileage and warranty, plus a new clutch while I was at it.
A cheap, boring, reliable little car that will survive high mileages if it is serviced.

monaro17, Jun 30, 4:34am
As you may have already found $700 doesn't get you very far. To get you something half decent you will have to double your budget.

tgray, Jun 30, 4:48am
For $500, you are not going to get Airbags, ABS or anything resembling a safe car for your son.
If I was you, I would either up the budget or wait until you can buy something half decent for him.
$500 cars are not something I would want an inexperienced, young family member driving.

tamarillo, Jun 30, 6:22am
You can just get a car for 700-900. But don't expect it to be cosmetically good or tidy and expect high miles. Neither can you expect any more than a years running from it. You might be lucky and get a few years, or unlike and fail in six months when you need a warrant.,
Look for bigger engined cars as bigger cars carry their mileage better, and big saloons are generally unpopular so can be cheap. You can pick up scruffy old BMW 5 series and big Volvo s for a grand sometimes. Maybe old but for their age they are safe cars, especially an old Volvo.
I agree with above posters about needing a newer safer car, but it may be that's just not a realistic option for you, so if that's the case, look anywhere within a day's drive from you. Find large cats that are asking less than a grand. Ring them up (not email) and ask questions. You're allowed to ask 'are there any other problems with it there you're aware of' and by law they need to be honest! Dismiss anyone you think is a bullshit artist, it's not worth your time. Narrow down to anything you feel good about and go see it. Big thing- only buy WITH A NEW WOF. Not 'couple of things to do to get new WOF ' adverts.
Look for cars you know will be cheap on no reserve auctions too. A car you reckon will be 1000-1500 might not make it so you might get a Good one.

sw20, Jun 30, 6:31am
Old flatmate picked up a mid '90s Accord with the 2.2 motor. Had 400,000kms on it, a stupidly loud exhaust, a terrible aftermarket steering wheel and gearknob and badly painted alloys for $950. Had a new WOF and no current reg. Spent a couple of hundred bucks getting a stock muffler, steering wheel, gearknob and stripped the black paint off the wheels and it actually looked pretty good. Runs well too, he won't lose any money when he moves it on.

extrayda, Jun 30, 7:15am
Yep, I had a wagon version of one of these - I think they are excellent also. The main fault with these is rust in the cross member under the radiator (can be seen if you look) - not too hard to get fixed. Apart from that I had mine from 91,000ks to 191,000ks and it required very little other than standard servicing.

franc123, Jun 30, 7:42am
Some of you are forgetting insurance co's dislike for teenagers in 6cyl cars, even small ones like Cefiro, getting coverage could be problematic. Stick to small or medium size 4 cyls, and common Jap models, not BMW or Volvo.

buyit59, Jun 30, 7:46am
Agree with Monaro and Extraday. I had a 2001 Nissan Maxima bought at 158,000km and sold at 278,000km still going fine . Apart from regular oil changes it cost me a starter motor and set of shocks . Will use bit more gas but I still think petrol is cheapest thing you put into the car. cheaper than store bought water !

monaro17, Jun 30, 7:50am
Not a problem at all in my case. Son had a Nissan Cefiro 3.0L V6, at different times both AA and State covered him with no questions asked. $750 excess but that is standard for young driver in any car.

Incidentally at the time AA stated they wouldn't cover an under 24 for anything 3000cc and over. fortunately the Cefiro was a 2994cc engine so they had to cover.

trogedon, Jun 30, 8:47am
"are" car or 'a' car?!

tgray, Jun 30, 9:16am
But it's still double the OP's budget.

crankypants69, Jun 30, 11:40am
You couldn't figure it out?

jmma, Apr 8, 10:20am
Probably "an NZ car" Lol (o: