Lokking at Cars - Auckland

mojo49, Aug 2, 10:38pm
I am thinking about dropping down to Auckland to browse a few car yards this afternoon. Where is the highest concentration of car yards stocking around 2005 cars now that would enable us to wander around as many as possible in as short a time as possible? Just want to look at make and model options today, not actually do any serious inspection.

mojo49, Aug 2, 10:39pm
That is looking at cars around the year 2005 , rather that that many!

westwyn, Aug 3, 12:59am
Most of the old "concentrated" car "zones" have long since vanished under the developer's bulldozers- land value is simply too high to justify retention for what has become a low margin business model (used cars). The old "Greenlane" or "Grey Lynn" areas have become either apartments, or new vehicle showrooms.

Remaining picks MIGHT be (in no particular order)

-Wairau / Target Road area on the Shore
-New Lynn along Great North Road
-Penrose / south Mt Wellington / Otahuhu along Great South Road.

Good luck!

serf407, Aug 3, 1:04am
Manukau City/ Papatoetoe- Great South Road has a few.

kazbanz, Aug 3, 2:11am
Mojo--if looking at shapes etc Im not being a smart alec saying you should go to a shopping mall.

jenifa, Aug 3, 2:16am
Yeah as others have pointed out: Penrose/Mt Wellington/Otahuhu theres a few.

wayned, Aug 3, 4:30am
That's where I used to start my car shopping, go to the supermarket have a look around for what I liked. Then grab a motor trader etc and see where I could have a better look. May do that when they were closed. Once serious go have a drive etc.

mojo49, Aug 3, 4:56am
Thanks for the feedback. Was going to drop down Lincoln Road and browse that Millars place in Henderson after the Wairau Rd area, before heading to the Gt South Rd at Penrose. Looks like we should just head to Sylvia Park Mall for a coffee, a movie and a stroll? Also found browsing Turners auctions is useful as they have heaps of cars in the price range we are thinking. Might still drop down Lincoln Rd but next weekend maybe, not today.

mojo49, Aug 3, 6:21am
Her indoors reckons she needs a bright red or maybe bright blue hatch under $10k. The hatch has to have a floor that does not drop down below the door opening so she can slide bags of potting mix and garden compost in and out easily. The drivers seat needs to be reasonably high as she has a dicky knee and the elevated seat makes getting in and out easier. That cuts the options down a bit to only about 200 makes/models to choose from now. Could be a long walk around the malls.

carstauranga001, Aug 3, 6:37am
Mazda Demio before 2007 model change has flat and wide boot entry. Easily get change from 10K.

mojo49, Aug 3, 6:49am
Thanks. Suggestions that reduce the choice range welcomed. Also any dogs/lemons based on real world NZ experience would be helpful. (Don't bother slagging Euros. My wife has had two great ones over the last 10 years.) I prefer we go Japanese this time.

kazbanz, Nov 12, 10:32am
I really wasn't being a smart alec matey.Walking around a carpark is just so much more relaxing than in most caryards. at then least it will cut down the shopping list from "a car" to "a smaller hatchback"
OR ya might just spot something she just goes--Heck yea.
My suggestion based on your later comment.
have a look at Toyota funcargo/Ractis-high seats for comfort and load space for Africa.
Mazda demio 2002-2007 great load space depending on how tall she is easy to get into.