Trying to decide between 2 cars

Page 1 / 2
gman35, Jan 25, 8:28am
The Mazda will be under-powered as a 2ltr 4sp auto compared to the 2.4 Honda , not driven the Honda personally , but apparently are good , and the NZ new would be more desirable also if anything. A Mazda 6 really needs the 2.3.

fordcrzy, Jan 25, 8:30am
agreed. the honda will drive much nicer.the 2.0 mazda is bland

trdbzr, Jan 25, 8:31am
Out of those two specific cars, i'd say go for the Accord. Also be sure to check that the Accord is actually 'NZ New'. A number of people seem to believe that being the first registered owner of a used import makes the car 'nz new'.

helen_nz2, Jan 25, 8:34am
how can I check if it's really NZ new! I did take down the Vin number whilst I was there

msigg, Jan 25, 8:34am
Both nicecars, you could try to bargan the honda down a bit , that might give you a bit more to get the scratches fixed, the mazda looks good too. the honda is slightly more economical, lower milage is better for resale, altough saying that they will both depriciate alot in the next four years.Drive them both and get the feel. the moreyou spend the more you loose. has the honda had a timing belt change!(if it has one). Don,t know, my gut feeling is that the mazda has been looked after better.

helen_nz2, Jan 25, 8:37am
The mazda is from a car yard so they would naturally spruce it up better. The Honda is private. He tells me he is the 3rd owner although he bought it from Nissan being the 2nd owner

helen_nz2, Jan 25, 8:39am
He didn't know if it had a cambelt or chain and I couldn't tell by looking. My honda has a sticker on the part that says when it was replaced but I couldn't see anything on the Honda. I'll have to do some research but I would suspect chain given it's a 2004

phillip.weston, Jan 25, 8:39am
another vote for the Honda, but it is perhaps a tad over-priced considering the over-all condition and the fact that it's a private sale. The Accord is definitely NZ-new - http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/!plate=HEURO

All Accord Euros have a timing belt and are no more maintenance prone than the Mazda.

edangus, Jan 25, 8:39am
Go the Honda. Its a NZ first registered. Knock that price down though.

trdbzr, Jan 25, 8:41am
The Accord is chain driven. If it was a Atenza 23S then it would be a much better comparison with the Accord. That particular Mazda 6 is bare minimum spec. I wouldn't waste my money on it. Just had a quick look on carjam and the Accord is NZ New, so be sure to ask for the service history. It should have a service history book in the car, usually its in the glovebox.

helen_nz2, Jan 25, 8:43am
that's very clever, thank you phillip. I did take down the vin number to see if I could check there's no monies owing to any finance company. I believe there is a way to check

gunhand, Jan 25, 8:44am
Heres a thought you may not have thought of.Black cars always look nice but man they are a nightmare to keep clean. You can wash it and go for one drive and itll look all dusty again. If its garaged and you drive in a clean enviroment or like cleaning your car go for it.
Id love a black car but they look awfull dusty etc.
Just a thought

grangies, Jan 25, 8:45am
Often the NZ new vehicles will have a speedo that goes further than 180kmh.

And as far as quality goes the Honda will win hands down. From thepaint job, through to the way every single nut, bolt and screw is fastened.

Better sheetmetal, better plastic, better everything.

helen_nz2, Jan 25, 8:45am
trdbzr - there was nothing in the glove box, I did check and I did ask but he didn't seem to know about it.

skull, Jan 25, 8:45am
Accord from me too, I've got one and love it. Looks in reasonable nick for km's and price.

andy61, Jan 25, 8:46am
Phil,you should know your facts better-Honda Accord Euro with a K series motor DO NOT have timing belts
.quote=phillip.weston]another vote for the Honda, but it is perhaps a tad over-priced considering the over-all condition and the fact that it's a private sale. The Accord is definitely NZ-new - http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/!plate=HEURO

All Accord Euros have a timing belt and are no more maintenance prone than the Mazda.[/quote]

helen_nz2, Jan 25, 8:48am
gunhand - yeah that did occur to me but realistically,it's unlikely to find too many Hondas at this price which is the budget I started off with. Even the Mazda that everyone seems to agree is not as good is $2k more

helen_nz2, Jan 25, 8:49am
with the lower price I was thinking I could get the paintwork spruced up a bit and would just have to keep it clean

edangus, Jan 25, 8:50am
Teflon coat it.last one that me mate had done was $2K - New Audi TT.

Or just buy some damn good carwash. 2 of mine are metallic black (forget washing in winter)

gunhand, Jan 25, 8:51am
Ya why not, they look nice all shiny. theresa black one that sits not far from work and its always super clean, im not sure how they keep that way lol.

magicmat, Jan 25, 8:52am
Another vote for the Honda.

horsepower7, Jan 25, 8:56am
we sel both cars at work, i really like atenzas but just not that model. im not a honda fan but those accords are a great car, they are more of aluxury type of car. never thought id say this but id pick the honda.

andy61, Jan 25, 9:01am
With the Honda,you usually can get the service history from Honda Cars,check the auto as they can get shuddery changing into the next gear at low speed and low revs,an auto flush usually fixes it.Nice cars to drive,Dont listen to Phil Weston,they dont have cam belts,they use timing chain

kazbanz, Jan 25, 9:47pm
OP--its already been said but anyhoo
They are BOTH really good cars with no vices
Im 99% sure the 04 accords are chain drive so no mechanical advantages one over the other.
Go drive BOTH cars back to back and decide which of the two YOU prefer.
if it helps -In my opinion the Honda will cost about $500 to get up to scratch if you want the paint work looking great. -Thats being pretty negative but better to estimate high rather than low.
If me--Id get a ding buster to ease out the boot dent and a touch up guy to clean up the graze and scratches.

richardmayes, Jan 25, 10:00pm
Both the Mazda 6 and the Honda Euro are very good cars, when they were new people commented that the Japanese were really starting to up their game. Of the 2 the Honda always seemed more solid and better-finished to me, and *ought* to be a slightly more expensive car.

2 Litre Mazda 6 is the bottom of the range one, and as others have said they are a bit underpowered.

The 2.4 litre is effectively the top model Honda Euro (ignoring the sporty "Euro-R" with hard springs and different engine - fit for keen fast drivers only) and that one there seems like a good buy at that price. Well worth living with a few cosmetic flaws until you get around to fixing them.

[Edit: yes the Honda "K24" engine is cam chain not belt.]

[Edit #2: Bear in mind I make these comments as someone who only ever drove these cars when they were brand new, so I can't comment on how well or how reliably they age.]