Can I buy a car without leaving the house?

happen, Apr 28, 9:48pm
I don't have a car at the moment so I am using buses and my bike to get around. I have saved the money for a car now but getting around to look at cars is not something I am prepared to do using public transport. Is there a service in Auckland that sources just the right car and delivers for a test drive?

brapbrap8, Apr 28, 10:01pm
How much money are you spending?
If you are talking about a new car or a good 2nd hand one then the dealer would bring it around to your house so you can drive it.

happen, Apr 28, 10:09pm
About $4000. But it could be more by the time I actually get the car!
I don't think buying through a dealer would get me the best deal but I would be happy to pay for a "vetting service". There used to be one in Auckland.

toyboy3, Apr 28, 10:45pm
What style car sedan hatchback wagon engine size ?

happen, Apr 28, 10:51pm
Toyota Vitz (or similar) after 2000, 4 doors and bigger than 1000cc, automatic.

I don't care about the colour lol.

kazbanz, Apr 28, 11:01pm
happen--Im sorry to sound cynical but $4000 is down the bottom end of the price range for a car.
The trouble with that end of the market is you are unlikely to get someone comeing across town to you just to show you a car. they might if its a definite sale subject only to your test drive.
The "source a car" companies all but disappeared when the bigger wholesalers cut their stock back and weren't doing on behalf stock.
There is apsolutely no reason for a reputable dealer to give a car from stock to a flea with no yard who will expect too pay wholesale and sell at retail then try to pass any comebacks to the reputable dealer with 500k-2.5 million invested in stock.
Again sorry for cynical

happen, Apr 29, 12:02am
I don't want to buy from a dealer at all. I have never needed to and don't intend to start now. I WAS asking about the companies you describe, "source a car" which I have used once many years ago and was very happy with the result.

intrade, Apr 29, 12:18am
you be needing 4 grand just to have them show you the cars
you dont weant to spend money to look at cars and expect somone else do do so for free or what exactly?
Also i dont want to be rude why do you even need a car if you dont want to get out of the house you might as well order your food online and have it all delivered to your door then you wont even need a car.
. if you buy froma dealer your way better protected with consumer guarantees act , also remember a car whom cost 600$ is now sold as 2000$ upwards making your 4 grand just a low budget slight above scrap value car.

happen, Apr 29, 2:52am
I don't want to be rude but you are not making any sense at all.
"a car whom cost 600$ is now sold as 2000$ upwards making your 4 grand just a low budget slight above scrap value car.[/quote] "

If you know of someone who scraps cars for $4000 please let me know.

toyboy3, Apr 29, 2:57am
My 91 year old neighbour is selling his wagon as the doctor said he isn't to drive anymore

seadubya, Apr 29, 3:04am
No, the service doesn't exist any more.
No one will spend the time to bring you $4000 worth of car for $4000.
Yes, what were once the cheap plentiful bottom end of the market, are now around the $2000 mark.
Yes you will be able to find someone who is prepared to do all the running around to bring you a $2000 car for $4000.
Sorry, not easy for those who aren't into cars, you could do what others on here do and put a few links on here for opinions if you need help narrowing down your choices.

happen, Apr 29, 3:10am
Thanks to those who were helpful.

elect70, Apr 29, 3:53am
narrow choice down to 3 or so if in Auck then bus would get you close & ask the seller to pick you up from nearby stop . always look yourself as if it isnt as you expected then its a drawn out process to get compensation & costly

happen, Apr 29, 4:19am
I always, always get a vehicle checked before committing to buy it.

kazbanz, Apr 29, 4:23am
Ok I suspect you don't know how those find a car fleas operated.
To sell a car professionally you must be a car dealer.-its a legal requirement. So they WERE dealers.
How the fleas operated was they would pay a few bucks and put a "ill find you a car' advert in a few places Often linked with "ill get you finance'
once someone like you bit they would figure out the car you want. Then they would go to legitimate dealers.Take the car to you and do the deal. Take the car back to the dealer and offer to buy it at a discounted rate and onsell it to you.
Of course said fleas then disappear and go figure you have a mechanical issue and they are nowhere to be found.
So sorry you WERE buying from a dealer. and of the most shonky kind.

rlr29, Apr 29, 2:46pm
LoL. Meet "lunch money Lewis".

tamarillo, Apr 29, 3:09pm
Hi op, so you have 4 to spend, don't want to bus around to see things and prefer to buy private and get it checked.
Ideas.
Look at what turners has locally if if a few meet criteria talk to salesperson to make sure cars are there and ready and go down to test. If you like one you can pay for more thorough independent test of it, though they get a basic one done already.
Or get down to the car fair at elderslie with cash deposit. I think you can get checks done there.
Or, search trade me for suitable car in Auckland, ring them and ask questions to be fully satisfied. Ask them to get a check done at your expense. If there's a fault they're hiding they won't. If it's a genuine car they might be bothered. Then once check done go see them, or hit buy now, or win auction, whatever is appropriate.
If neither suits you're best with a dealer trade in, theses can be better deals than private if dealer simply wants it gone having traded it in for low value. At least then you get some assurance, and easier to get a check done on it.

daryl14, Feb 19, 4:58pm
I found a car out of town on trade me with full service history. I offered to buy at an agreed price subject to a ppi. then the owner took it to the local dealership for a check at my cost. I payed for the car and organised a car moving company to deliver it to my door. All worked out cheaper than buying in my city, at that time. Cast a wide net.