When is a car New and Used car yard?

Page 2 / 2
rctr, Aug 14, 9:51am
For the sake of 50 ks it is not worth the hassle don't forget you have to return car to dealership for at least the next 3 years. Technically the car is deemed new with delivery mileage (test at factory. Being moved from factory-storage-transporter-bo-
at-transporter-storage-dealer--
pd fuel etc-dealer storage if has been part of a bulk buy.

captaink, Aug 14, 9:57am
Wow things have changed for some,, was DP for a Wrightcars branch years ago, all our new cars we did 'driveaways' from the Thames plant. Never had one customer complain their car was 'not new' and they all had close to 200km's on them. It's oh so easy isn't it. . A line up of every model as a demo and rows of 'new' cars, one of each colour and every spec level sitting waiting for their new owners. Bottomless money pit, that's the car game. NOT.

jmma, Aug 14, 10:02am
Why not buy something with say 3000 kms on it, then it will be cheaper and will be just like new (o:

corkranb, Aug 14, 11:10am
You are stretching the boundaries now with one of each colour but I will say the dealer just about did have one of each colour. The simple point I was making was I have bought many motorcycles over the last 6 years and they were all shop floor NEW. They had demo bikes that normally got around 3000km on them then they flicked those as demo bikes at a reduced price. There is no way in hell they would let their for sale New bikes out for test rides. I was simply making the point that I have no problems with genuine miles being clocked up for factory test drives or to fuel up or valets. I would not have any problem either with getting the car delivered as per the old days to my home if I lived 200 kilometres from the dealers. I do have a problem with cars being driven for test drives by anyone a sundry then still trying to flick them as NEW cars.

2sheddies, Aug 14, 11:29am
51 kms isn't much at all, and could well cover factory testing and then delivery to the dealer, after which perhaps it might have gone to various third party outfits for pre sale fitting of accessories, modifications to some part or another to better suit local conditions, grooming, who knows what else. I don't think it sounds at all outrageous. It's pretty normal I would have thought.

But then, what the hell do I know. I've never been in the position of shopping for a brand new car and likely never will be, so maybe seeing it from a different perspective than the OP.

unclejake, Aug 14, 11:44am
Have you driven it?

unclejake, Aug 14, 11:46am
Oh, I see now. You are one of those people. Hopefully the salesperson will have the guts to refuse to sell you a vehicle at all. Goodbye

yogibearz, Aug 14, 8:01pm
Its new, for gods sake. The dealer is better off with out the likes of you. If this is how the process is beginning I would hate to think about what you expect under the terms of the warranty ?

kazbanz, Aug 14, 8:31pm
corkranb- why not just cut out all the BS and tell the dealer?
YOU intend to spend $50k ish on a car and want that exact model,color etc but with no k on the clock.
YOUR opinion is your opinion and in you feel a car must have under 10km on the clock to be called new then your money has that opinion.
Theres no point arguing sematics on this MB.

m16d, Aug 14, 9:25pm
This thread has really struck a nerve with the car dealers on here.

But in this day,new cars are shifted by transporter and delivered to dealers with as few k's as possible because that's what the buyer wants.

Not like the 70's and 80's where 6 of us would cram in a car,drive to Auckland wharf to pick up 5 brand new Triumphs. It was then a race back down the southern motorway to the yard. I am still impressed with the speed you could get out of a new PI Triumph with overdrive.

darryl, Aug 14, 9:26pm
I don't have a car yard, but have bought several new vehicles. Although I have owned a business in retail. And things like this are why I don't do it anymore. People are pedants and arses.

New vehicles I have bought have had from 6km's on the clock to around 50km's. It's not a massive deal - they all drove like new cars. Maybe I should have asked for a discount per km. I think gov't km rates are around 70 c - so I could have saved myself . $35.00 woohoooo

tamarillo, Aug 14, 9:44pm
Wow, OP asks simple question and gets insulted. Relax people.
Op simp,y wanted more experienced folk to throw some light on it. I get that. I get the point that dealers have demo cars and one would not expect the car you buy 'new' to have been used as such.
So, Is the 50 k normal or not. Sounds like it's not to me, that any testing done is in the hand full of km not 50. So it's possibly been used for some demo work.
Agree with Kaz that next thing to do is to ask.

richardmayes, Aug 14, 10:53pm
Please stop being such KNOBS, PULL YOUR HEADS IN, and just tell our visitor what he wants to hear - that based on all of your countless years of experience in the motor industry, you agree 150%.

richardmayes, Aug 14, 10:53pm
Too right.

kazbanz, Aug 14, 11:44pm
Just to add fuel to the fire.
I was accused of winding the odo in what was MY 04 Commodore VZ SV6.
I took exception to the accusation so did some digging.
Commodores ARE able to have the ODO would back to zero as long as the odo doesn't go beyond 99.9km.After that something breaks or breaks off and the only way to reset the ODO involves taking the car to an instrumentation company.
I was told it was fairly common for the cars to crack up 60-80km during testing in Auzzie then reset to zero.
I would say that holden wouldn't be alone there

stevo2, Aug 15, 3:38am
I just bought Mrs Stevo a car a month ago with 207km on the odo. It had never been registered so I class it as new.

tubbi, Aug 15, 3:49am
It aint a demo car with only 51kms on the clock. Dealers put cars on demo and can claim back from the parent companies a set $$$ amount. they also discount these demo cars when sold with low kms on them ie 2000kms but in my opinion its still a new car with minor bugs already ironed out so you get a good deal on a NEW car Buddy. please dont come to me to buy a car EVER. GOOD LORD. !

ako2, Aug 15, 3:53am
A new car imported from overseas (anywhere) is considered "New" by both NZTA and IMVDA at anything below 250 kms. Those 250 kms can be considered "delivery kms. Over 250 km is then automatically treated as "used".
I personally would consider your 50 km car is still "new".

scuba, Aug 15, 4:13am
similar in Dunedin we drove them back from thee rail yard. pre delivery checks added more kms as you looked for rattles etc. maybe even a trip out to the motorway to sort out issues above 50 kph.

buyit59, Aug 15, 8:10am
51km is still a new car in my opinion. A car is driven onto delivery truck , off at wharf , onto boat , off boat , at wharf again , onto truck , off at dealership , into grooming bay . etc etc . A motorbike is quite possibly in a container or is pushed aound not running .

mimik3, Aug 16, 9:47am
Ummm hate to be the bearer if bad news, but there ain't any test track around the Holden plant in Adelaide.
So thats shoots that fantasy down. And no they dont shift the daily ration of cars to Lang lang for testing.

clark20, Aug 16, 11:48am
Hell, mine had 82km so it must have nearly been worn out. who cares, its still new.

frytime, Oct 4, 12:12am
Best I have seen is 2km on the Odo when customer picked it up. The car landed in Auckland down to wellington for pd. Have also seen 49km for same trip. Go figure. Depends on how long the car has been in storage and moved. Fit outs ect.