Daughter wants another car.

Page 1 / 2
stevo2, Aug 22, 8:34pm
My daughter currently has a 98 Corolla liftback (bugeye shape) 1600cc auto. She's had it for about 8 years, bought at 120,000km and its now done approx 270,000km trouble free.
She wants to replace it with something a bit more modern that uses no more fuel and travels well on the open road. Must be auto. Hatchback, SUV or wagon preferred over a sedan.
She has limited income so nothing thats got known expensive issues (like the Fits transmission).
She wants to spend about $7k and I have suggested a Fielder or ist from the mid 2000's.
She likes the look of the Tiida but at that price range I dont think a CVT is the way to go.
She likes the look of the Axela 1500cc but unsure how that would travel long distance (200km each way every fortnight at night time)
People mover or Nana type cars are out of the question (she's mid 20's)
Whats your thoughts on these or do you have any other suggestions?
Cheers Stevo

tamarillo, Aug 22, 8:43pm
I'm now looking at the 1st as a nana car, quite liked them at first but now they're looking old hat and best for old ladies. Asked my son and he declared he wouldn't be seen in one. Youth!
Axela much funkier surely, and why not stick to 2 litre for her drives? Criticism levelled at the Mazda three is road noise, and I did find that true on rentals, but it's comparative and after her Corolla she wouldn't find it noisy. Or, 2 litre Ford Focus, great steering and involving drive. Old model is still a funky looking car.
Would you or her look at golf, arguably better open road car, but if she's had good run with Toyota she might not want to go there.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 9:10pm
Stevo-well the odvious answer is the corolla.allex.runx but a good one is liable to be over the 7k mark. That would be a direct replacement. I also agree with your thinking with the fielder.
A couple that will do the job but she might not like the look of is the Royota Opa and Toyota Will VS (not cypha) Both of which use corolla running gear but different body panels.
The Spacio I suspect she will think too nana ish.
High miles in the Mazda product isn't unusual either and lets face it -they copied the VVTi desighn from Toyota. -A demio SPORT might be worth a look.

barneymiller, Aug 22, 9:10pm
I have a Suzuki Swift really good on the open road comfortable and very economical.

mals69, Aug 22, 9:15pm
Axela handle 200k no worries (1500) daughter driven hers to queenstown
from ch-ch loaded up with mates. Hers only meant to have done only 45k
and far from smooth going from park to drive. Think they overpriced due to demand - demand by buyers who do not know quality. Think better buying a Nissan or Toyota.

2sheddies, Aug 22, 9:15pm
Lol, you and two thirds of the rest of NZ it seems. the flaming things are everywhere you look! I can't believe how popular they are.

mals69, Aug 22, 9:16pm
Its called marketing

skull, Aug 22, 9:24pm
It's called a good looking car at a reasonable price with no backlog of issues to drag it down. The only real criticisms are a small boot and not world leading fuel economy.

mals69, Aug 22, 9:29pm
Beauty in the eye of the beholder - is the non leading fuel economy due
to low gearing ?

2sheddies, Aug 22, 9:29pm
Not washing with me! I wouldn't have one!

franc123, Aug 22, 9:34pm
That's it. The reality is the Swift has been the best all round car of its type sold for the last 10 years, its not perfect but it does the job most people want it to do and does it well. Have Suzuki heavily marketed it? Not really, it sells itself on appearance and function and reputation, as all good cars do.

mals69, Aug 22, 9:34pm
Same - but guess you not a young hip chick who they aimed their
adverts at.

tgray, Aug 22, 9:38pm
And on price - under $20k for a new one!
I am finding Swifts and Axela's very easy to sell at the moment - everyone seems to want one or the other.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 9:42pm
Nahh franc--The swift was heavily and cleverly marketed by a total marketing genius At least in NZ it was.
The guy should be offered god like status within the marketing world.
(he says still hoping for a phone call re an L1-L5)

franc123, Aug 22, 9:46pm
Most of them appear to be driven by the 45+ female demographic who have never had kids or are no longer carting kids about daily, and may even be grandmas even, its similar with the Toyota Ist clone, if they were aimed at Young Hip Chicks its only partly worked. Maybe the above still think they are Young Hip Chicks?

2sheddies, Aug 22, 9:55pm
Too right lol!

2sheddies, Aug 22, 10:00pm
Popular company cars too, with sales reps, land agents etc. See heaps of signwritten ones running around.

mals69, Aug 22, 10:03pm
Remember initial adverts were young chicks, only catch is under the bonnet/free servicing, WOF's for years is how Holland Suzuki sold loads to pensioners. If you say they are good allround cars that is enough for me.
Just saying marketing has an impact, like the other popular 323 - zoom zoom. Sell the lifestyle and sometimes you can even overtake the company with the better product. With your experience would you say the build quality of a Suzuki is as good as a Nissan or Toyota ?

cagivachick1, Aug 23, 12:47am
i think you will find that the south islands roads are in fact full of logging trucks, milk tankers and long haul trucks

mals69, Aug 23, 1:07am
Yeah we all lumberjacks, dairy farners, delivery drivers down here, no
little hatchback to be seen on our roads

200sx, Aug 23, 2:46am
Given the requirements, I'd suggest a Ford Focus, Swift or a variant of the Corolla. Reliable, cost effective, functional. I'd avoid a Tiida - build quality is not what it should be and they are clearly built to a lower budget than their competitors. My uncle had one, and I had the misfortune to have one as a rental earlier this year. Shitbox compared to what else is available for similar budget. Auto rules out a small Peugeot, and it will be a challenge to find a Golf / A3 / 3-series that has been properly maintained at that pricepoint. Try a 2-litre NZ new Mk 2 Focus, or play it safe with a Toyota.

sw20, Aug 23, 5:11am
NZ New Mazda 3 with the 2 litre?

stevo2, Aug 23, 6:52am
Excellent, now to find a nice one for $7k

fordcrzy, Aug 23, 6:53am
the ford fiestas are good on the open road, the autos are a bit dreary though. look for a NZ new one as the imports are a bit crappy. My mum put her 2006 fiesta into the side of a truck ripping the front end off and she walked away without injury

stevo2, Sep 7, 11:23am
Thanks for all your replies.
First things first is to sell the old corolla but in the meantime she can start looking for a suitable replacement.