Should I sell my car?

trade4us2, Sep 17, 1:55am
I've had a very reliable car for nearly 20 years and it's been garaged all its life and looks almost brand new. Five years ago I bought a more modern car with airbags and all the usual safety features, however that one has been a bit unreliable and would be very expensive to fix. It's OK at the moment.
The older car is only worth about $1000 I guess. I don't need the money.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/410931177.jpg

My son and family are visiting from overseas one day and would normally hire a car. I could keep the car for them. But maybe he'd rather have a safer car. I could lend him my other car instead but that's a bit big and hard to park.

kazbanz, Sep 17, 1:58am
you answered your own question didn't you?
keep it.run it till it costs too much to fix.

trade4us2, Sep 17, 1:59am
The old car has four Michelin tyres and four wheel steering and is a Ghia.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/410937357.jpg

trade4us2, Sep 17, 2:00am
I'm not using the old car at all - I just run up to hot every few weeks.
I usually run cars into the ground or until they go rusty.
I hate getting rid of a perfectly good car. It's done about 170,000 km.

tamarillo, Sep 17, 2:37am
Sell it. These days we need safety features, airbags, etc etc. wouldn't let my son in the Telstar ( I think that's what it is).

robotnik, Sep 17, 3:34am
Is it a 2.5L V6? You should get more than $1K for that. Boy racers will buy it for the power.

trade4us2, Sep 17, 4:04am
It's a 4 cylinder 1800 with 4 valves per cylinder and fuel injection. Not particularly powerful, but more economical than my V8!

tony9, Sep 17, 4:05am
If the tires are more than 10 years old, replace them if you keep the car, for safety reasons. New tires will be much more grippy.

tgray, Sep 17, 4:10am
Stick it on Trademe for $1995. You might be surprised what it is worth.

robotnik, Sep 17, 5:15am
Too bad, V6 Telstars were beasts. The third generation AX in Radisich trim was one of the fastest best handling cars of its day.

mainlander05, Sep 17, 5:16am
Sounds more like he wants an offer without paying listing fees to me.
But that's just me.I'd do the same.

trade4us2, Sep 17, 6:03am
No I need to licence it and get a WOF and insure it first.

franc123, Sep 17, 6:14am
I would only keep it if it was manual and it had been impeccably maintained including coolant changes every couple of years. Cooling system problems and resulting overheating and auto failure were the biggest killers of that model, correctly and completely maintained manual ones are the ones to keep. The 1.8 DOHC F8 motor was not a bad performer for its size and era, bonus being a Jap spec Ghia too.

tgray, Sep 17, 7:01am
What's your V8? Just curious.

trade4us2, Sep 17, 7:38am
XJ8 with aluminium block. Not many of those still working!

extrayda, Sep 17, 10:06am
nikasil?

trade4us2, Sep 17, 10:48am
Yes, but it was never driven in the UK.

extrayda, Sep 18, 9:16am
There was an XJR on here for sale a while back, sounded like an awesome car (and cheap for ~380 HP). The Nikasil and chain tensioner thing scared me off (and the Mrs doesn't really understand the V8 thing). Would probably have been fine.

phillip.weston, Jun 8, 9:15am
The V6 was never available in that shape Telstar the OP has. Top spec is the 2.0 DOHC for Japan/NZ or 2.2 SOHC turbo for Australia.