Car slow to start and really slow turning corners?

lisamm11, Aug 1, 10:41pm
Hi, my car is pretty old (96) and is outside all night so very cold when I go to use it in the mornings, lately though, it has been extremely slow to get going, once it's been going straight for a while, it can get up to speed but then when I turn a corner, it goes soooo slow or if I'm at the lights or a stop sign and then go to accelerate, it's really slow. I'm hoping it just needs a new battery perhaps? Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

melonhead1, Aug 1, 10:44pm
The rear brakes might be stuck? I had this issue and one of the brake cylinders was buggered.

lisamm11, Aug 1, 10:49pm
Ohhh would never have thought of that, thanks!

gsimpson, Aug 1, 11:03pm
Ha. I initially read that as the car being 96 not a '96 model.
If a brake is binding put your hand on a wheel after a run to see if one is warmer than the others.

lisamm11, Aug 1, 11:10pm
Haha ok cool will do

kazbanz, Aug 1, 11:21pm
What exactly is your car?
When was it last serviced?
With the description given Im thinking either binding brakes or a gearbox issue or it needs a service.

biddy6, Aug 1, 11:50pm
Its unlikely to be a battery issue, (unless its a electric car nah 1996) so get it into your local garage and have it checked out.

msigg, Aug 2, 1:40am
Yes kazbanz is on to it, book the car in for a service/mechanic, tell them your story, spend some money on it , say $400-$600 get it all up to scratch.

tweake, Aug 2, 2:50am
depending on the car/engine etc, i have seen quite a few vehicles where its caused by dirty fuel filter or air build in the filter. also the tank pickup/filter, to much rubbish in the tank.

mrcat1, Aug 2, 5:27am
Air build up in a filter will only matter if its diesel and if airs getting in then it has a air leak down from the lift pump.

lisamm11, Nov 26, 5:34pm
Thanks everyone, very helpful :) getting it checked out :)