Lubing clutch cable on bike

brummoi, Mar 23, 3:24am
Is it ok to use chain lube and do I need to get one of those wee clamp-on tools? Bummer have just remembered that I lost the tube from the aerosol lube can so might have to go shopping anyway. I assume WD40 not a good idea for this. ? Cheers

bjmh, Mar 23, 3:30am
any lube is good,might have a job getting chain lube down the cable

johnny262, Mar 23, 3:35am
The clamp on tools arent that great, if the cable has a rubber boot on the end position it vertically and fill with wd40/crc etc. If the cables already free youll start to see the lube come out the other end, if its really dry or stiff leave it overnight.

Unless of course the cables seized, in which case save yourself the hassle and bin it

kazbanz, Mar 23, 3:35am
get some blue tac and form a funnel around the top of the cable -Hold it up and let gravity to its thing.-That said modern cables have a plastic "lubricating" sheath inside the outer cable that does a great job of preventing grab

brummoi, Mar 23, 4:14am
thanks all. The cable hasn't seized - just getting stiff and hard work to use. No rubber boot but I'll do the blue tack funnel thing. The bike has to live outside unfortunately so will need to wait for the rain to stop to do anything. Any preference between WD40 and CRC?

bjmh, Mar 23, 4:28am
wd40

aj.2., Mar 23, 4:38am
Please do not use WD40 or CRC, that is good for loosening up rust, but then all the loose stuff will bind up in the cable.
You are better off with a light oil, even sewing machine oil if you have any.

muzz67, Mar 23, 6:49am
Agree.
Best I found is CRC Locksmith Oil, smallish pressure can from repco etc.
And the square block thingy is the best tool for the job, hands-down.

xs1100, Mar 23, 7:31am
best I ever found was a cable lubricator from bike shop and wurth brake cleaner (alcohol based) wont affect outer and wurth silicon spray turns to a white paste same as ign modules. nothing will stick to it any oil based product things will tick to it and do it in reverse eg gearbox back to clutch handle and have cable end in a old coke bottle saves shyte going everywere

kazbanz, Mar 23, 8:01am
brummoi-sorry to be a negative sod--generally that's a sighn things are about to end suddenly or you have a Routeing issue-ie a kink somewhere

sr2, Mar 23, 8:09am
+1; at the end of the day the solution is almost always a new cable.

xs1100, Mar 23, 8:11am
reinvented a few older ones in my time generally just need a good clean and a lube and a re adjust

gedo1, Mar 23, 8:12am
That's the one Kaz. we used it all the time way back then. Used plasticine in those days since blutac was not around. Plasticine. Any one remember that stuff?

mechnificent, Mar 23, 8:20am
The newer type cables with a plastic liner aren'r meant to be lubed with oit. The liner is some teflon stuff and is slippery already. If you do wan't to lube it get something to form a funnel on one end, I've used an old fashioned "umbrella" type valve seal forced over the barrell, and use graphite powder stirred into a tiny amount of petrol to wash it down and then evaporate away quickly. I just hold the cable up with one hand and swirl the petrol and graphite around as I tip it into the valve seal funnel. It runs through quickly and is super slippery and won't result in the cable being all grindy with the rust and oil that you will get if you use oil.

brummoi, Mar 23, 8:44am
no worries and it's definitely getting to be hard work to the point that my hand is feeling like it's had a workout after a 5k ride home from work. It's due for a service about now anyway so might as well get it seen to at the bike shop before it does go ping on me

brummoi, Mar 23, 8:53am
hell yeah. Great for making crappy greyey brown log shapes and that was about it really

mechnificent, Mar 23, 7:06pm
It sounds to me like you need a new cable.

nzdoug, Mar 24, 6:53am
Ive lubed Triumph, BSA, HD cables by putting oil in a balloon and tying it to the top of the cable when its off the lever but still conected and clipping the ballon to an overhead point so it gravity feeds intravenously over night.
Always juicy.

sr2, Mar 24, 7:22am
Yup, +1.

brummoi, Mar 24, 7:31am
New cable it is going to be!

brummoi, Mar 28, 3:08am
new cable and oil change on Thursday - it's like a new bike!