Motorcycle finance?

devil99, Oct 6, 4:06am
Hey looking to finance a hornet 600 that's not LAMS approved, but I'm getting my licence this week. I'm curious if you can still finance a non LAMS bike on your learners? Thanks

40wav, Oct 6, 4:33am
Unlikely, unless you get a bank loan and don't tell them what it's for, but they'll want to know. Even if you do get finance, you WONT get insurance. Then, when you stack it (cos you probably will) you'll be up shizer creek and will be the proud owner of a pile of busted rubbish with only 37 monthly payments left on it.
Get something you're allowed, and if possible pay cash. That's my 2c anyway. Good luck mate, and ride safe.

motorboy2011, Oct 6, 4:59am
$1k would get you my lams approved nv400sp

brummoi, Oct 6, 5:26am
If you're on your learner's now and get your restricted this week, you still won't be permitted to ride a non-lams bike, will you?

motorboy2011, Oct 6, 5:36am
Lams approved bikes can be ridden in learners and restricted motorbike licences.

brummoi, Oct 6, 5:52am
jtrue but OP says is on learners and wanting to buy a non-lams bike. Am I missing something obvious here?

mantagsi, Oct 6, 6:56am
I am still amazed even now that the lams system was actually adopted here in NZ. There are a few bikes on the list that I would never ever let a learner on, well more so those teenage squid worshipper types.

There are many good bikes on the list, you are spoilt for choice, it would pay to stick to an approved bike and avoid drama. Don't forget that it wasn't so long ago you would have been stuck on a 250 and that was your lot!

toppo1, Oct 6, 7:45am
Seems stupid that some of the lams bikes are still in the high rego bracket,

xs1100, Oct 6, 8:07am
why would you as someone on a learners/restricted get finance for a non approved bike when if you didn't stack it got it confiscated by the cops so you could then come on here and have a cry about the big bad cops.
follow the rules and the ride what you like with a full license and no dramas
(coming from someone who after 20 odd yrs still cant be bothered sitting his full LOL)

oliver6, Oct 6, 9:04am
What is a teenage squid worshipper ?

tigertim20, Oct 7, 5:32am
to answer the question directly, yes, you can,
You could use an unsecured loan from your bank if you are on good terms with them. I know other companies have been known to loan for non lams to learners etc.

Comments above DO have some truth to them - as it MAY affect your insurance, if you have an off or incident.

Might be smarter to get a 650 twin on the lams list, and get the 900 hornet a little later on. youll still get some grunt with les risk and less potential legal ramifications if things go per shaped

sw20, Oct 7, 5:36am
What happens when you get pulled up 600kms from home by the police on a non LAMS bike on your learners or restricted?

Long push or a very expensive trip home on the back of a truck.

mm12345, Oct 7, 5:39am
Have you googled it yet?

I'm assuming it refers to Swampies worshiping the Kroll - something which wishes to kill them. If there's another answer, then please post it.

mantagsi, Mar 11, 2:39am
Haha, getting there! No, I am referring to the (not OP, necessarily) usual posse of learner riders, who happen to be the very youthful type who fancy themselves a Valentino Rossi straight out of the box, and think it is OK to ride on a sport bike far beyond their skill level. Most folks are happy to start off small, but some believe the latest most powerful CBGSXRR1300XXXR is the only bike that can handle their nascent racing skills.