F a car has been sitting in dry storage for

likit, Mar 9, 7:18am
15 years, what sort of condition would you expect to find the running gear in? Would the engine, tranny & diff need rebuilding or would a change of all fluids be sufficient. Car has been started recently & seller says drives extremely well. Have got someone looking at it for me tomorrow.

franc123, Mar 9, 7:23am
Depends on what condition it was all in to start with. The biggest concern would likely be the brake hydraulics, these will need careful checking, and yes it should have all fluids done. It also should have what fuel was in it removed and replaced with fresh and the fuel system checked thoroughly for leaks, and the tyres looked at carefully for perishing or flat spotting.

socram, Mar 9, 7:31am
Anything made of rubber would probably be dubious, not just the tyres.

likit, Mar 9, 7:36am
Yes agree tyres will need to be replaced & belts & hoses & as other poster said brakes will need to be looked at, just concerned about what I can't see as I have no experience with cars coming out of storage after such a long time. Was hoping someone has any experience they could tell me about

skin1235, Mar 9, 7:44am
is 15 yrs out of the weather somehow different to the thousands of 25 yr old cars on the road already
change the water, oil, fuel, brake fluid and put it through a WOF

likit, Mar 9, 7:46am
What about the internals, would there be any buildup of rust?

skin1235, Mar 9, 7:49am
how old is an FA to start with, XA I know, never seen an FA unless you're talking the XR8 FA, and thats only what 4 yrs old anyway

franc123, Mar 9, 7:52am
Not likely, the inside of the engine, trans and diff would have still had a film of oil on the important stuff. If there was moisture in the fuel tank that might have caused corrosion.

likit, Mar 9, 8:04am
Thanks that sounds good as that was my main concern.

lookoutas, Mar 10, 4:51am
Don't you know what FA means skin?
Sort of matches up with FO and FU (which should be FY, but FU is more understandable)

But as for the OP heading - I took it to mean "Found A"

jmma, Mar 10, 4:53am
I took it as he missed the "I" for "If a. (o:

bumfacingdown, Mar 10, 4:55am
Not so sure unless stored properly, bore could be dry and rusting as could other internals that are not actually covered with oil and are prone to rust.

gunhand, Mar 10, 4:55am
I took it too mean If a car has been sittin think he just missed the F

lookoutas, Mar 10, 5:39am
There ya go - better arsumption than mine.

jmma, Mar 10, 5:43am
Lol "I"

gsimpson, Mar 10, 5:58am
Just put my old 900cc Austin back on the road after 28 years. Replaced rubber bits and fluids and drove to Napier and back. (2000km round trip)

elect70, Mar 10, 6:01am
yep probably in better condition stored dry .

tamarillo, Mar 10, 6:07am
Op, what sort of car is it?

skin1235, Mar 10, 6:52am
duh, brain fade man, for the last 2 days I've been racking my brain for a F A designation older than 15yrs

logically it was meant to be IF

many thanks to those whose brains are still functioning
lol

likit, Mar 10, 8:24am
Correct

gunhand, May 6, 5:09pm
Yeeeeeeea, The "I" lol.

Apart from putting the wrong letter, I note what, or rather how I wrote what I wrote didn't appear as I wrote it on here. odd.