What sort of car

Page 1 / 2
mr_bond, Mar 11, 1:30am
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11414690

Very sad result but 'late model sedan' vs 2014 Dodge Journey (my guess, please correct) shows the car never had a chance.

Any ideas on what the car is or could have been? Narrow tyres and little. Is that the engine sitting outside of the car on the road?

brapbrap8, Mar 11, 1:37am
Looks like a very small and basic car, maybe chinese? Cherry etc?
I would have expected most 'late model sedans' from reputable manufacturers to hold together somewhat better which points towards Chinese to me.
I'm not a crash investigator though so who knows.

saxman99, Mar 11, 2:56am
A larger screen shot. Still not sure what that is. Anyone recognise that airbox shape? Looks like red letters on it.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/369151879.jpg

richardmayes, Mar 11, 2:56am
"Sedan" in my book means a proper 3-box saloon car with 4 doors.

THAT is/was a little subcompact car with a solid beam rear axle - Honda Logo?

poppy62, Mar 11, 3:24am
It looks like a small 2door hatch. The Tubular rear beam is almost reminiscent of a 1970s Honda Scamp. Possibly something from the Asian/Jap makers.

richardmayes, Mar 11, 3:35am
Jinx

petal_91, Mar 11, 3:42am
What sort of modern sedan has a beam axel, not a Euro that's for sure. A Toyota Corolla/Aurus perhaps? The Auris hatch at least lacks IRS, not sure about the Sedan variant.

jmma, Mar 11, 3:46am

robotnik, Mar 11, 4:28am
It has a large transmission tunnel so maybe a vehicle that is available optionally in AWD. A mark 4 Golf perhaps.

a.woodrow, Mar 11, 4:41am
I reckon it looks like a three cylinder diahatsu sirion

tmenz, Mar 11, 4:49am
Smart Car?

esprit, Mar 11, 4:51am
No, they're rear wheel drive.

tamarillo, Mar 11, 7:00am
Wow, shows real advantage of a modern car. Very sad.

attitudedesignz, Mar 11, 7:08am
Not normally concerned about pic's like this (ex towie) but i'm strangely disturbed with this one.

Can we get the pic's off the thread somehow please.

saxman99, Mar 11, 7:30am
Yes I can remove the photo if the prevailing opinion of the board is that I should. Cast your vote.

tamarillo, Mar 11, 7:55am
Personally I don't mind it, it's an important reminder of what happens, and an encouragement to look at cars safety when buying, something that seems very low on priority list for many of us.

extrayda, Mar 11, 8:28am
Agree with tamarillo. Not a nice article, but does reinforce the modern car (and big vs. small) considerations. That car is massively mangled compared to the other one. I'd also be guessing Geely / Great Wall or one of the tiny Japanese cars. Some of those early Daihatsus were incredibly flimsy. I am interested in what the small car was primarily to make sure to avoid it in the future.

pandai, Mar 11, 11:50pm
The Herald mentioned today that the car was a Toyota Starlet.

brapbrap8, Mar 11, 11:52pm
Shows the quality of the reporting then, when a Toyota Starlet is referred to as a Modern Sedan!

mr_bond, Mar 12, 12:44am
Agree, and even in the new article they noted it was both a sedan and Toyota Starlet.

Think we had figured out it was a small hatchback anyway.

edangus, Mar 12, 2:00am
Pretty Sure (unless its an import) the Dodge Journey is only available in FWD here too. So not a 4WD as reported. Then again Carjam thinks my Chrysler is an AWD - it ain't.
Never allow facts to get in the way of the story aye!

richardmayes, Mar 12, 2:24am
I don't think the presence or absence of a driven rear axle really matters in this story, the Starlet would have been equally stuffed regardless of whether the Dodge was 2WD or 4WD.

Perhaps the author meant to type "SUV"?

tamarillo, Mar 12, 2:49am
I'm not sure being suv matters, I'm thinking it's simply a newer safer car that's designed to work well, and it's a bigger car so obviously is less impacted. The dodge is a modern unitary condtruction car (I believe), whatever the other is I'd wager it's a relatively older car with little or no regard to safety in accident. A really mangled car can still protect occupants when designed right.
It could be argued that we'll do more to safe life's by getting our car fleet newer than the speeding campaign achieves.

edangus, Mar 12, 3:00am
To the story? No. To ACC & the LTSA facts and figures. Yep. I would put it as a FWD People Mover not an SUV.
All that aside. Terrible tragedy. Poor Families.

edangus, Mar 12, 3:01am
You are probably right there.