Tyres.Im buying 2 new rear tyres

mrssmudge, Dec 17, 5:03am
yet one of the tyres coming off still has 7mm tread. Can I keep that tyre or do I have to 'surrender it' to the guy replacing them?

fordcrzy, Dec 17, 5:06am
keep it and auction it off on here

mrssmudge, Dec 17, 5:08am
So I am allowed to request I keep it?

mack77, Dec 17, 5:12am
Yes, of course. Since you're the one that's paying the money, you have control of everything and give the orders i.e. tell the tyre people what you require them to do.

kazbanz, Dec 17, 5:14am
So why are you buying two tyres if one is basicly new?
If its about matched tyres then I would be using the 7mm as my spare.
Sorry top ask so many questions but why are you replacing the rear tyres? is the car RWD?

fordcrzy, Dec 17, 5:16am
its your tire. youcan do what you want with it. actually ask for a better discount as you will be saving them the recycle fee they pay on old tires

richardmayes, Dec 17, 6:08am
New tyre quoted prices often say in the fine print that the price includes an allowance for removal and recycling of your old tyres.

So by rights it should be cheaper if you want to keep one of them!

(In reality the one with 7mm tread would probably go straight on their "used but still warrantable tyres for sale, cheap!" rack as soon as you depart the store. ? )

richardmayes, Dec 17, 6:10am
Actually I'm being unfair to tyre shop guys here.

In the past I have had instances where tyre shops have said to me "hey this old tyre looks better than your spare, do you want us to put it on your spare wheel for you?"

sw20, Dec 17, 6:11am
I had some China China specials on my Corolla and replaced them with some Yokohama S Drives. Because the China China specials were nearly new, the tyre shop, KATS, gave me $15 each for them.

henderson_guy, Dec 17, 6:16am
There's tyre shops and type shops though.
I've had the misfortune of dealing with a large tyre retailer in Tauranga who screwed up a wheel alignment and cost me money, and now I deal with a fantastic company who always do a great job (for less)

kazbanz, Dec 17, 6:38am
If its the retailer Im thinking of they lost themselves a sale and all future business from me by being arrogant judgemental a######
Car I sold to a TGA resident had just had compliance inspection,been inspected by me had an AA inspection before being test driven by the customer.Unfortunately one tyre began to delaminate badly her first day with the car. Said retailer stated all car dealers were rip off artists and that I had deliberately supplied dud tyres.
I sent the customer to another tyre shop who fitted 4 new tyres.

stevo2, Dec 17, 6:56am
I find the smaller shops in Tga better than the large National single brand stores.
Im interested why a near new tyre is being replaced.

henderson_guy, Dec 17, 7:02am
Well, put it this way, from the name of their store, they suggest they are the masters when it comes to tyres

henderson_guy, Dec 17, 7:04am
I'm with ya on the why, as to tyre shops, I use Bayfair tyres now, and have done for about the last 7 years. While still living in Henderson, I used Henderson Valley Tyres. Again, brilliant service and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

fordcrzy, Dec 17, 7:06am
ive had less than satisfactory dealings with them also.

clark20, Dec 17, 7:08am
Maybe the buy one, get another 1/2 price deal

stevo2, Jun 4, 6:23pm
Also wasnt happy with the "Master" place but the bonus is they are open Sunday.
I use Bayfair tyres (they are at Bayfair and 1st or second ave as well) and also get a good product from Birch Ave tyres.