Clutch job

lindi4, Nov 4, 7:16am
My clutch has gone on me, cant put the car into gear. How much roughly to have it repaired in a nissan bluebird 1996

panicky, Nov 4, 7:19am
Probably the hydraulics

intrade, Nov 4, 7:22am
so the pedal is now soft or what ? does it go to the floor and stay there?
also how did it happen? what did lead up to that problem . any info is required to piece togather what happened.

kiwitrader43, Nov 4, 7:33am
Check under the bonnet and see if there is any fluid in the clutch master cylinder which will be located at the base of the windscreen at the back of the engine bay. Undo the cap and check. If dry, look under the car and check the clutch slave cylinder for leakage. It will be one or the other.
About 150.00-180.00 fix usually, unless you have a good mate with the knowledge.
Easy replacement.

lindi4, Nov 4, 7:41am
There is fluid in the clutch cylinder.What lead up to it was a whinning noise when letting the clutch back that went on for a while. Today I was parked up and couldnt get the car into gear, lots of grinding noises, but manged to turn it off start it again and get home. Yes the clutch goes to the floor, nothing there.

franc123, Nov 4, 8:45am
You are going to have to see what sort of travel is happening at the slave cylinder, if its not moving much or at all you definitely have a hydraulic issue, if its moving normally there must be an internal problem, probably a pressure plate that's died. If you don't know what you are looking at find someone who does, impossible to even give an estimate on cost with the info given so far.

lookoutas, Nov 4, 8:45am
Sounds like an internal hydraulic clutch, and it's crapped itself.
Is this what they have? 96 seems a little bit old for this type of system.

intrade, Nov 5, 6:12am
it sounds like the thruster bearing has eaten thru the finns of the clutch. i had this on my fiat uno diesel once it starts to whine the bearing soon will lock up and starts cutting thru the finns my money is on exactly that.

lindi4, Nov 5, 6:13am
So does that mean I will be buying a clutch kit or will it be more serious

intrade, Nov 5, 6:14am
650$ to do old clutch with solid mass flywheel at a guess maybe bit more now depending on labour per h be bout 6h or so for front wheel drive

intrade, Nov 5, 6:16am
well if you are in luck then its just clutch kit , you will find out wzhen you pull the box . replace seals on engine and gearbox imputs shaft and if it has a spigot bearing that also

intrade, Nov 5, 6:24am
are you riding the clutch depressed at the lights and dont take the foot of the clutch pedal while driving?
my fiat was a company car before i got it with loads different drivers so some would have been riding the clutch to ruin the bearing

yz490, Nov 20, 5:17pm
Might be wrong but sounds like the thrust bearing has seized or disintegrated & attacked [or been eaten by] the clutch fingers. If there's noise involved [as in noise from the clutch area just by depressing the pedal] then sounds like a safe bet. [Story] my "36 Chev did that [thrust bearing] & you could clear a pedestrian crossing on a busy friday night in town from 100 yards from the noise lol. Only just got us home! . Then we went over a motocross [scrambles jump] the next day & the engine mount broke & put the fan through the radiator. So she got parked up. That was terrible & i should have been shot--every morning for a week! . Sorry, what was the question again.