Selling a race car

geedubu, Jun 20, 5:28am
A year or 3 ago I bought an excellent targa/track car. Much money (6 figures) had been spent on its development but health issues mean that I should let now it go. It has sat for a year plus untended but covered. I don't want to put it up for sale as "condition unknown", but I will eventually be very reasonable about letting it go (ie highest bidder). Can anyone recommend a mechanic in Auckland who could fettle it to ready to play for status so I honestly represent it when I list it? Not looking for a profit, just not looking to throw it away.

jason_247, Jun 20, 5:41am
I would be looking for someone who does specific work with targa cars regularly as if you are selling it to that market having a known and trusted name behind recent work and or recommendation can make a big difference.

sr2, Jun 20, 6:45am
Try Mal at Bygone Auto's or Andy at Race FX. Both have a huge history of building Targa cars.

bill-robinson, Jun 20, 7:01am
anyone who buys a race car and does not 'go over it' before driving it seriously has more money than sense. 'as is' is how I would sell it. no warranty expressed or implied.

sr2, Jun 20, 7:51am
Obviously we all go over our cars before every event with a fine toothed comb but my impression is that the OP is looking for a bit more than a spanner check.
It is far easier to sell a car in a "ready to race" condition rather than as an uncompleted project.

serf407, Jun 20, 10:50am
#1 -have you assessed getting the car 'parted out' rather than having people trying to get the whole car at the lowest price possible?

kazbanz, Jun 20, 10:17pm
Abit of a risk but if you could get a good driver out there in it for one race then its profile and fettle will be known to the kind of people looking to move up into the next class or maybe into targa at all.
Selling any of my race machinery has always been word of mouth that it was possibly up for sale

geedubu, May 19, 6:15pm
Thanks for all that. I will now chase up a good fixer & get it gone over; fluids replaced; basically tuned; all bits checked so that it can be offered as ready for someone's bucket list. Probably replace seat and belts etc so it complies with current requirements but I think I will make it good and safe for track days; ok for something like the Aces series and able to be run somewhere in midfield for classic targa. Just a nice 'n' easy acquisition for someone who wants to have a go without busting the bank. Hard to know what to do with a race car though, isn't it.