Fire extinguisher/ long journey car kits.

serf407, Dec 24, 10:51pm
Does anyone have any general advice for the fitting etc of small fire extinguisher etc to a passenger car/ ute?
Usually a few summer car fires etc that fire extinguisher can be handy dealing with.
What else should be in the car kit? first aid kit , safety triangle etc

wind.turbine, Dec 24, 11:06pm
fluro vest can be handy when changing a tyre in low visibility.

woki, Dec 24, 11:27pm
Jack and a wheel brace , a blanket , water , torch and a knife .

tamarillo, Dec 24, 11:37pm
Credit and AA card, cellphone, sorted.

seadubya, Dec 25, 12:09am
I've got; First aid kit, fire extinguisher, common automotive size spanners, small, medium and large adjustable crescents, a few different screw drivers, flouro rain coat, blanket, water, jumper leads and jump pack, torch, knife, tow rope, jack and 4 way wheel brace, wind up radio/torch combo, 12v phone charger, a few ratchet straps, a couple of ropes and bunjees, and the power steering and brake fluids live under the bonnet.

elect70, Dec 25, 1:31am
^^ forgot the flares , dehydrated food & bottle of brandy plus fire starters & a pot in case get stranded oh & the kitchen sink . where do you fit the suit cases ?

seadubya, Dec 25, 1:38am
The only things you can see are the jumper pack (I use it to charge batteries for cordless power tools at work) and the extinguisher. All the rest of the stuff is tucked away into the pockets and hatches dotted around the car and rarely comes out for anything other than helping others.

kazbanz, Dec 25, 1:51am
Serf. The firex should be mounted so its easily accessed but not so its in the way of your passengers feet.
From the prospective of someone with emergency first response training I have to say that the most important part of your first aid kit is between your ears. Sorry if that sounds egotistical but I genuinely feel that someone with base level training will be more use in an emergency than a a fully "kitted up" person with no training.
That said My firt aid kit contains.
4x womens sanitary pads.
Crepe bandage,
Triangular bandage.
Tweezers.
Sharp sissors.
Disinfectant liquid and cream.
Panadol
Aloe vera.
Diasorb.
Waterproof sticky plasters.
And a few extras.

tweake, Dec 25, 2:08am
the problem with fire extinguishers is all the car ones are so small they will do nothing. a good minimal size one is big and would have to go in the boot.
i think by mem minimum required is about 2kg.

tony9, Dec 25, 3:17am
Tow strop
Jumper leads
4 litre juice bottle full of water
Domestic first aid kit

That is all I have, above standard spare wheel, jack etc.

I have used first 3 for others several times, never needed the first aid kit. I change the water twice a year.

henderson_guy, Dec 25, 3:59am
I agree. A first aid course can be extremely valuable. If your workplace doesn't offer it, maybe you can suggest it.

elect70, Dec 26, 2:40am
Length of cycle chain or iron bar under front seat for car jackers . & as above I was about 4th person on scene of accident , all just milling around not doing anything so i started first aid assesment until cop came & told me to bugger off & leave it for ambos who arrived some 10 minutes later .

clatty, Dec 26, 3:27am
I carry first aid kit, fire extinguisher window hammer blanket I remember coming across a cyclist in Otahuhu who was unconscious after going over the handle bars. I wish I had a blanket for him as his heart beat was very low .

berg, Dec 26, 3:43am
Mrs Berg is an ambo officer so the car and both bikes have really good first aid kits in drybags. They have been used often on the road especially when travelling. Car has a fire ext but nothing other than factory tools/spare/jack etc as it's under warrantee with 24hr roadside rescue. The bikes have real basic spanners, double ended screwdriver, puncture repair kit, cable ties and a small roll of 100mph tape. For touring I add a very mall set of charging leads (not jump leads, just small leads with good clips so a bike can charge another bike's battery rather than jump it) and a baby can of CRC. Again, both bikes on 24hr roadside rescue. Both bikes also equiped with cellphone chargers

socram, Dec 27, 12:08am
I've just acquired a "Jackazz" from Chicane, which is an electric jack powered via the cigarette lighter socket and comes with an electric rattle gun/wrench and sockets. At least Mrs Socram could operate it, but doubt she could lift the wheel off anyway.

Haven't had to use it yet.

Would like to permanently install the fire extinguisher, but don't use those that come with a plastic bracket. Make sure it is metal. Alfa racer had a bad prang at Pukekohe and the only injury damage was a broken arm - caused by the fire extinguisher getting ripped out of its bracket. A loose 2kg extinguisher can be lethal.

elect70, Dec 27, 3:35am
AFAIK only 1 make , citroen ,has ever made a self jacking car , of all gadgets they fitted to cars youd think they would make it self jacking .Guess it because in USA you just call the auto club

ignition328, Apr 27, 9:04am
Some good suggestions. I like having gloves and some kind of barrier device for CPR. I mention this because CPR is not the most pleasant experience at the best of times, it's even worse when you get given a bad flu or worse from someone while performing it, learned that the hard way on that one.

Fire extinguisher with metal braket is a must, been on fire a couple times. Sure there are other things but my corolla is a rolling workshop with the toolbox strapped in the back so probably take a bit for granted.