Turners car auction

Page 1 / 2
kitkat66, Mar 27, 11:46pm
Totally agree with this, Dodgy as Trade in prices manipulated and way under what they should be.

westwyn, Mar 28, 12:28am
Turners (there's no "auction" in the name anymore, for good reason) probably own a lot more of the stock than is entered now by dealers- most dealers I know no longer support them for the sale of trade-ins. Turners "Cash Now" process has proved to be highly lucrative, plus they actively source and buy up fleets (rentals, companies etc) rather than offer on-behalf. More often than not, the vendor IS Turners.
-Clear title: Yes. Part of the TPP you pay is this guarantee- effectively insurance. You get clear title to anything you buy, it is Turner's problem to sort it out IF for any reason they miss a security.

tamarillo, Mar 29, 1:52am
Something very fishy here. Surely you had some paperwork? You had receipt for deposit?

Agree with jazz re photos, bought one of my old bmw there and photos missed the bloody great hole in seat and hole in dash!
But struggling to belive they would do what claimed here, they know they can't do it. More to story maybe?

smoth_007, Nov 25, 4:06am
x1
Anyone purchased a car at Turners that had money owning?

I'm looking at buying a car for my parents and I'm trying to get my head around this.

i.e. (Turners) Current owner is a fleet lease company, the debtor is a major insurance company. Safe to bid?

kazbanz, Nov 25, 4:31am
Why run the risk of buying something with a security lodged against it?

thejazzpianoma, Nov 25, 4:44am
Talk to turners, or have a look at their website. I am pretty sure I recall they guarantee clear title. Don't take my word for it though.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 25, 4:50am
Here you go:

"When you buy a car from Turners, we guarantee that the car is not stolen and you will not have to pay if there is an unpaid finance debt on a car bought from us. This is called clear title."

Source
http://www.turners.co.nz/Cars/Tools-and-Tips/

Under "what other problems could the car have"

budgel, Nov 25, 6:27am
I'm surprised anybody wants to buy from Turners, their buyer premium is a ripoff in my opinion.

supernova2, Nov 25, 6:59am
Where's the rip off? Simply factor that into the amount you will bid.

In most cases cars at Turners are cheap. There is of course a reason for that and IMHO most are junk that the previous owner is desperate to get rid of. That might be changing a bit now that the CGA applies.

Have you noticed that Turners are now offering some of their stock through tender? I assume that gets around the CGA?

carstauranga001, Nov 25, 7:14am
Tender sales also come under the CGA now.

tgray, Nov 25, 7:22am
As a registered dealer, I used to buy 6 cars a week from Turners for years. That was until about 5 years ago. Now they are more expensive than other selling mediums, especially when taking into account the commissions they charge.
Haven't bought one from there in years now.

ejm89, Nov 25, 7:25am
Most are junk? 3 weeks ago I purchased a 2010 mondo ex-lease from turners and it certainly isn't junk. It's great and turners certainly made the purchase process easy. I will buy from turners again, and can't fault their service.

poppy62, Nov 25, 8:26am
I've been buying from Turners since they first went into Vehicle auctions. They guarantee Clear Title and always state the conditions of sale on each vehicle. So yes it is Safe to bid.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 25, 8:33am
The ex-lease ones are generally the "safe" ones. The general stock is pretty iffy. I buy the odd one from there, have had some great bargains too, but crikey if there isn't some rubbish and for each one that I have spotted with a serious issue surely there is another one with a hidden fault. This is not Turners fault, it's just the nature of their niche in the market.

Test drove a late model wagon there recently with a very obvious cracked head or head gasket issue. Pointed this out to them but of course no note was made on the car, this I did think was a bit off on Turners part. Saw it go for top dollar at auction too.

By far and away my biggest annoyance with Turners is that when they photograph vehicles in the damaged auctions you either don't get a photo of the damage or get a poor one. Instead they will fill the add with absurd and pointless photo's of tyres etc. If it's a damaged vehicle in a damaged auction the FIRST photo should show the damaged part of the vehicle.

morrisman1, Nov 25, 9:05am
what sort of wagon was this?

supernova2, Nov 25, 9:23am
Need to remember that Turners are simply providing the venue so they don't care and don't need to care what the condition of the car is. Its the buyers problem to do the research and find out what they are buying. In general I've found Turners pretty good to deal with both buying and selling.

My comment about the stock being junk didnt take into account the late model ex-lease cars as I never look at them.

I do agree with Jazz regarding the damaged ones. Sometimes it's pretty hard to establish the condition etc from the pics. No problem if you are on site but a bit of a pain for those of us who buy online.

Cant remember what it was I looked at last week but they had a pic of the oil on the dip stick, the inside of the oil cap and a 2nd pic down the radiator throat which I thought a nice touch. Maybe the tyre pics are a bit pointless but maybe buyers want to know if they will be up for a set of tyres the day they buy?

All in all if you do your homework Turners can often provide a good deal.

brapbrap8, Nov 25, 10:00am
I wouldn't like to buy a cheap car from Turners, from experience it seems like a lot of stuff that dealers are reluctant to trade in goes straight there.

billyfieldman, Nov 25, 11:21am
Their online auction will indicate which cars are covered by CGA and also has Buy Now buttons.

Are live auctions covered by CGA?

tgray, Nov 25, 6:38pm
If the seller is "in trade", then yes.

tgray, Nov 25, 6:39pm

kazbanz, Nov 25, 6:48pm
You ever been in the situation where you had to put that to the test?
A car not as described or with a hook?

poppy62, Nov 25, 8:32pm
Never had a problem with Title, been going to Turners since 1978. Mind you I was given a VIP card by them (1980s) so maybe preferential treatment because of the numbers game. Any car not as described was always negotiable.

tigra, Nov 25, 9:14pm
That's when they were Turners & Growers.

timmo1, Nov 25, 9:44pm
Do they still sell lemons?

supernova2, Nov 26, 11:24am
Believe it or not yes to both.
On sold the remains of a parts car to the scrappy a couple of weeks ago and bugger me it still had a hook on it. Phone call to Turners and fixed within 5 mins.
Other case was a still rego'd non running vehicle. When it arrived it was dripping water from everywhere. Again phone call to turners, money refunded and picked up the next day. Turned out it was a private sale but had been for a salty swim and had slipped through without that vital bit of info included in the vehicle description.

In both cases the staff i spoke to were excellent.