What could be wrong with my car?

smoky80, Aug 14, 8:55pm
Guys,
Last night when I tried to start my 97 auto hatcback nissan march car all I could hear was the ignition cluck cluck. I tried few times and the car wouldnt start. then with ignition on i started to press on the accelerator pedal. after couple of seconds the car started.
after i reached home i just checked the battery and could see white powder around the leads? is it time to change the battery or some other issue? any suggestions guys?

tamarillo, Aug 14, 9:06pm
First port of call for me : Battery either dead, or could simply be loose terminals. Or both.
Fact that is started again indicates possible terminal loosening. But batteries can fool us like that. Nothing then suddenly just enough to turn starter over.
Disconnect it, clean up terminals, inc light sand paper, and see if works.
Look for dates on battery as to age. Suggest it's likely to be old.
Then take to battery place where they can check it, might be new enough to warrant a good charge.

stevo2, Aug 15, 3:35am
^^ This^^. When the car started, did the starter motor turn over quickly or sound a bit sluggish?
Either way a battery place will generally test the battery for you free of charge.

kazbanz, Aug 15, 4:25am
Smokey IMO its most likely the battery or the starter motor.
If it started fine before and has started fine since I'd suspect it needs brushes in the starter motor. if it was sluggish again this morning then battery

matarautrader, Aug 15, 4:31am
Could also be worn teeth on flexiplate

gabbysnana, Aug 15, 6:53am
We just had this was the starter motor.

kevymtnz, Aug 15, 7:09am

mileyfan73, Aug 15, 7:44am
Had that happen on my Maxima once,was the starter motor crapping out.

gsimpson, Aug 15, 8:54am
Clean the terminals and get the battery checked. Work from there.

smoky80, Aug 15, 11:01pm
Thank you all for your inputs. I did not have any issue in starting the car all of yesterday.

mk3zephyr, Aug 15, 11:12pm
deep hydron collectors on the flux capacitor has a bad earth

llortmt, Aug 15, 11:20pm
Click, click, click is NOT the starter motor its the battery or battery terminals.
Get the battery and connections checked and cleaned.
I doubt its the starter motor I have half a dozen of those micra/march and they're ALL on their first starter some at higher KM than I care to mention.

intrade, Aug 16, 9:20am
what you have is resistance resistance goes up voltage goes down its ohms law , So most likely the white powder is the corrosion causing the high ressitence. you need to clean it off . You also never hit the battery therminals as that damages the poles and the sulfur acid travels up the posts and causes white corosive-high resistence- dust -patina.

smoky80, Aug 18, 11:07am
Thank you all.

fordcrzy, Aug 18, 11:13am
pour hot water over battery posts. undo the negative(black-) terminal and scrub the post and clamp with a scotchbrite pad. repeat with positive terminal. reconnect and drive away happy.

kazbanz, Sep 28, 10:23am
I don't doubt the most likely cause is the battery. but worn brushes can cause same symptoms. -Or maybe Ive just been unlucky