Car care. information

littlerae1, Feb 22, 5:42am
I know this is an old post but being new to the Motoring forum, this is a great little resource. I found a .pdf version that can be downloaded. I hope the link works. Thank you for sharing this intrade. Also, who do you recommend as a good mechanic in Whangarei for a Toyota Platz 2001?

http://www.nxtbook.com/fx/save/dbindex.php?book_id=__NXT__a804110d20b3130261ba2e77ed1ebacf&sid=e680c19a3a2ad87021a75380f9c02eac&pdf=1

intrade, Feb 22, 5:59am
3 you can become one of my clients if you wish

tamarillo, Feb 22, 8:50am
Nice PDFs, don't manufactures handbooks have all this stuff specifically for the car though? Maybe not all but all the newer cars I've had as company cars always did.
Now here's a dig. all importers should by law provide English language handbook on car. Could be done, once compulsory someone would set up to do them and sell them.

franc123, Feb 22, 9:12am
About 80% of the population in NZ (in my experience) has never seen a manufacturers service schedule, let alone understood it and followed it, it's don't know and don't care that's just a ripoff blah blah territory. This is especially so with used imports, naturally all NZ new vehicles have them supplied but of course these get conveniently lost over the years between ownership changes. English translations of service schedules are indeed available, and are also printed in the Haynes style manuals, or surprise surprise available from those avoid-like-the- plague franchise dealers if you care to ask them for NZ new stuff, and sometimes imports too.

littlerae1, Feb 22, 10:36am
YES PLEASE! I'll email you through your listing. Thank You :-)

littlerae1, Feb 22, 10:38am
Yep, I'm guilty for this. I read the .pdf file and didn't realise how much was involved in maintaining a car. I just left it all to the mechanic to sort out.

kazbanz, Feb 22, 10:42pm
ignoring the during the "running in" process How hard is it to have your car regularly and properly serviced ?

littlerae1, Feb 26, 5:24am
I always thought my car was getting a service every time I took it in for a warrant; considering it cost up to $500.00 each time.

franc123, Feb 26, 5:47am
Well your invoice will tell you if it was serviced or not, if it wasn't then clearly WOF repairs were being carried out then.

franc123, Feb 26, 5:57am
Dead easy if you have the money, are willing to invest in the long life of your car, and you have a competent and trustworthy person to do it, or if you've got or can get the gear and give it a crack yourself. Running in process? Its called driving normally and then doing the first scheduled service/lube when it is due, perhaps preceeded by an scheduled inspection at 3 or 5k by the manufacturers agent. I don't know any that specify a Running In Process which involves special operating or servicing requirements early in a vehicles life, except for perhaps obvious things like avoiding excessive engine speed and load.

intrade, May 27, 3:54pm
its not something many are used to but it becomes extreem important on new vehicles that are regarded as old by car manufacturers.
Cars are old once the warranty expires tipical 3 to 6 years
this is a free online guide i have found about car-care its still valid in its information just the information is usa so miles not km and a few other usa only related subjects
i am intending to make a website for my costumers to explain why they need to service there car and lots of relevant information is already coverd in this brochure . every car owner should read this basic information and its what VTNZ should have to give away not some rubbish flyer that they now can even service your car when they can not even do a wof correctly.
http://www.nxtbook.com/mercury/autocare/CarCareguide/index.php#/0