This is the car i want if anyone knows where

tamarillo, Aug 26, 3:16am
I don't get it, surely these have a Ecu or two just like anything?

intrade, Aug 26, 3:27am
nop got that engine in my mb140 merc its a clone of the w123 mercedes 5 cilinder engine. they are rear with that engine the 270 is a comonrail junk.
on pix 11 you see the 5 injector hard lines from the indirect injected fully mechanical diesel engine
they made the musso till 2006 with that engine but not the rexton only one is the korando with this engine and manual i found a few but they are to small for what i want inside

budgel, Aug 26, 3:31am
Were they available in a manual here?

intrade, Aug 26, 3:35am
re* 5 that is a commonrail the 2,9 is the only non electronic junker.
plus that one is a automatic . look at the pedals in pictures
so 2 things i dont want also compair engines you see the difference 270 and the 290
one is 2,7 cr diesel the other is 2,9 idi engine
budgel yes i seen a black one in auckland for sale years ago back then i was looking for parts for my mb van and not to buy a suv.

sr2, Aug 26, 4:52am
I know nothing about "SsangYong" (probably a good thing) but after having owned diesels for decades how could anyone (other than the odd fundamentalist Luddite) prefer mechanical over modern single rail injection?

elect70, Aug 26, 5:00am
People think its a Merc engine but its just old merc dies used & all made by koreans . Nothing wrong with mech injection deisels , electronics were put in only to meet emissions regs not ecomomy or ease /cost of servicing we all know the electronics cost small fortune to fix

poppy62, Aug 26, 5:03am
Well to be factual SR2, before the Common rail diesel, the mechanical one was considered pretty good. Common rails diesels didn't make the Mechanical ones useless.

sr2, Aug 26, 5:06am
You're quite right, they are not useless. They just produce less power, use far more diesel and require far more servicing than their modern single rail equivalent.

tony9, Aug 26, 6:23am
The most powerful, fuel efficient and high availability diesels are not common rail, they are mechanical pump. Think thousands of horse power.

Common rail's big advantage is that it can be electronically controlled to meet the demands of an erratic driver in an unstable environment in real time.

sr2, Aug 26, 9:37am
That's a little irrelevant when we're talking automotive applications.

intrade, Aug 27, 5:14am
technically your correct but when you add it up oil and filter every 5 to 7500km is cheaper then oils so it cost still less to change the oil more often. and the injectors when they are worn out whom cares you get a bit of coughing and gray smoke till they start working again. i had a fiat uno with its original injectors and 350.000km in europe and in the morning it would sometims only run on 2 pots for a minute till the sticking injectors come back online again.
new commonrail diesel doing that= deadly destruction real soon with oil dilution and filling the diesel particulet filter up faster then it can burn off and failing to regenerate anyhow if not all injectors and glowplugs function 100% on new commonrails.
But your correct better emission better controll over fuel metering= loads more power and computer controlled variable gate turbo charger make modern diesel way batter in these things.
But reliability is only on one of these old engines who dont nuke them selfs when there is problems.

melonhead1, Aug 27, 5:37am
Its B.Y.O manual gearbox these days mate.

intrade, Aug 27, 6:03am
plenty musso with the engine and gearbox the rexton changed in 2003 to cr. the korando and musso till 2006 but the korando is to small and the utes are mostly rotten to the core driven on beach or driven on cow poo and never washed . plus the rexton is the largest inside suv like 4x4

sr2, Aug 27, 8:36am
Are you sure you're not just getting confused with badly maintained customers cars, Intrade me old mate?
My common rail has had the oil & filter changed every 30,000Km (as per the manufacturer) and still drives like new at 320,000 Km?

aredwood, Aug 25, 5:18pm
I have a 02 Merc Vito. It has the OM611 2.2L commonrail diesel. But since it is NZ new there is no emission controls on it. No particulate filter. No EGR. No airflow meter (only a MAP sensor). The turbo is not a variable gate one. 90% sure that there is no oxygen sensor on the exhaust. Even on very cold days the glow plugs only stay on for approx 30sec after engine has been started. And alot less on not so cold days. (I have installed a secondary "glow" light that is wired directly to 1 of the glow plugs) It has done about 290K and all the glow plugs still work. And the ECU is not afraid to inject heaps of fuel if it wants to. Im sure I have surprised some people who wouldn't have been expecting clouds of black diesel smoke from a Merc. (It normally only does it if the engine RPM goes over 3000). Fuel economy - Have been able to get over 700K to a tank a few times. So could well be better fuel economy than the current model Vito's. (Definitely far better than a hyundai H1/iLoad)

So maybe see what other Mercs of the same era were fitted with the same engine. And find an NZ new one. As that engine is a great example of a commonrail diesel. As I get the good fuel economy from having commonrail. Yet it doesn't have all the addons that cause the commonrail issues.