Repair or sell as is?

dunit7, Jun 2, 2:14am
Hi Guys,

Come September I'm leaving NZ for the U.K and sadly than means my beloved needs to go.

She has a bit of damage on her though and I'm unsure whether or not to fork out the 1.6k excess on insurance to get her fixed up in hopes that I'll keep more on resale or just sell as is?

Here are some pics of the damage

http://bimmersport.co.nz/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-17305-0-96317700-1433124669.jpg http://bimmersport.co.nz/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-17305-0-08534200-1433124683.jpg

differentthings, Jun 2, 2:30am
By the looks of things it's nothing to stop it getting a WOF. Is it a BMW. What year/model etc. Look up expired listings on here and see what they are selling for. $1600 seems a lot for a insurance excess.

3tomany, Jun 2, 2:34am
I would say just sell as is 1600 spent will probably not give you a good return

dunit7, Jun 2, 2:41am
It's a 2002 BMW 530i Motorsport, 149k On the clock on some extra options you don't generally find on this model - sunroof, msport wheel and 16:9 console display.

kazbanz, Jun 2, 2:50am
If its a $1000 car then frankly I can see little or no advantage to spending a lot of money. if its a potential 5k car then its worth spending some moolah,.
How I would do it though is first get a dingbuster/ding man in to fix the nice smooth ding in the LF guard. Then Id get touch up guys or similar to clean up both bumper corners. The marks on the guard might improve enough with a cut to then look fine puffed with the same paint you use on the bumpers.
IMO maximum spend $400
Or if its a cheapy then I'd personally pull the headlight out and push the ding out with my hand as best as I can. Then cut n polish the heck out of the corner. Use a bit of Poo to fill the big cracks in the rh bumper corner. sand it back and use a close to colour match spray can to paint both corners.

kazbanz, Jun 2, 2:53am
didn't have this ^^^^^^ before I started typing.
In that case Ill stick with suggestion 1--dingman for the ding and a touch up guy for the rest.

dunit7, Jun 2, 3:01am
Yeah I've seen these listings - the first one is a wagon but you're right. It's part of the risk I take to get it "properly" fixed up and hopefully get close to 6k or so for it but who knows.

dunit7, Jun 2, 3:09am
The thing is re the 1.6k excess is I've spoken to my insurance company - I may have to pay two excess $800ea as the damage happened at different times. don't think there's a way to get around that otherwise I'd happily pay the $800 to have her all shiny again.

differentthings, Jun 2, 3:10am
If you want 6g for it then people expect some small things need fixing/not mint. Sell it as it is or do a Kazbanz said. After all he is a car dealer and comes across these untidy cars all the time.

cabrio1, Jun 2, 3:27am
Give BMparts in Papakura a call. He may have those parts secondhand in that colour.
They are bolt on and could be done in half a day!

tamarillo, Jun 2, 3:37am
These are not as expensive as they were regrettably for you. But $6 plus is still feasible. I'd look at fixing it without insurance claim. As kas said ask touch up guy who can tell you a good ding man etc.

Or if it's all too much hassle get some quotes and list it as is with lots of pics and details. You won't get as much but less hassle.

Btw lovely car, on my wish list at next change!

dunit7, Jun 2, 3:52am
It's been a great car! Had it 3 years, no major issues with it - if you do get one make sure you go for the 530i - the V8 540i is veerrryy problematic!

trogedon, Jun 2, 3:58am
Its Kaz.

grangies, Aug 11, 1:19am
I would buy a 2nd hand silver bumper cover and fit that, then get get the guard sorted at a panel and paint shop.

They will fit the bumper too if you need them to.

Your bumper is fudged. A good 2nd hand one will be FAR more economical. Don't listen to any rough fools who try and tell you that they'll fix your bumper cheap. It's buggered and it will look hideous and probably crack before you manage to even sell it.