2005 3.5 v6 Skyline Mech' insurance?

djrandomguy, Dec 16, 12:51am
A friend of mine has a 3500 GT Skyline, Automatic which has done 42,000ks.
He wants to know wether or not it's worth while for him to have mechanical insurance. It's $700 per year for his cover, he had it for the 1st year but made no claims. As far as I know nothing goes wrong with these engines, what about the transmission or electronics?

sw20, Dec 16, 12:54am
I would rather put the $700 in the bank. Remember there is an excess on every claim too.

If he had an RX-8 or a VAG car with a DSG box I'd have one.

mals69, Dec 16, 12:59am
Throw in having to have your car service at certain high dollar crowds, then sometimes they do not even payout.
In saying that though some say Nissan not good for the electrics - never had electrical problem in over decade with terrano - prob risk either way - dammed if done dammed it not .

vtecintegra, Dec 16, 1:22am
Which transmission does it have?

Some of them had a CVT which need very specific fluid and can be VERY expensive if it goes wrong but I think they switched back to a normal auto by 2005

djrandomguy, Dec 16, 1:24am
This one is a conventional auto

nick91111, Dec 16, 2:25am
Don't bother. Not worth it. Normal auto, very low kms. I've got friends with them and others with the same engine with 200,000kms+ get thrashed every day and still going strong.

melonhead1, Jun 10, 10:25am
Don't bother but be tell them to be nice to their car and not thrash it. That's the best insurance.