Re-Vin / Re-register a previously registered car

extrayda, Jan 24, 11:45pm
Hi,
I'm sure I've seen this question before, but can't find it.

If you have a previously registered in NZ car, that has lapsed, how easy is it to re register it? Talking about a 70's / 80's car.

From what I can google, it seems to be an equivalent of a stricter WOF, then new VIN etc.
Has anyone been through the process? Does a car have to be bought up to modern standards (e.g. if no rear seatbelts from factory, would they have to be fitted?
What things are they harder on than a standard WOF?
What does it cost? (apart from any necessary repairs - what does the actual process itself cost / include)?

Thanks !

holdensorfords, Jan 24, 11:51pm
Just type "revin in where it says "keyword or member. choose "last year" & it will bring up all the threads about revin. Just to the left of your post.

extrayda, Jan 25, 12:46am
Thanks, that was helpful - I forgot that 'last year' was not very long ago!
Interested in anyones story who has done this from start to finish anytime recently still.

smac, Jan 25, 1:15am
It's not a stricter WOF, for a vehicle of that age it's the same check.

Assuming (and it's a big assumption) you can prove the vehicle was previously registered in NZ then it's pretty straight forward. Original equipment and standards (eg no ear belts) is fine. Best to talk directly to VIN agent (eg most VTNZ's) about what will be required as proof, as it can vary from vehicle to vehicle (weird stuff can happen with ownership, chassis numbers etc etc).

socram, Jul 23, 7:42pm
Not quite as simple as that, based on my experience. Admittedly a highly modified car but even with the LVVTA plate, a major issue (for me) was that they wanted a repair certificate for the repairs (on a 60 year old bodyshell. - think about it). That was last February - and they also had an issue with a minor parcel shelf modification that wasn't listed on the LVVTA paperwork.

That didn't get signed off until October - I was overseas for three months.

The initial repair certifier called in, last February wasn't the right person for a car of that age, but since then, a far more realistic repair certifier has been most helpful - a lick of paint over new the new outer sills is all that is now required to have another go. About $400.