Trade Me or Car Removal Company?

littlerae1, Feb 26, 7:06am
I was wondering what would be the best thing to do? Sell it on Trade Me or sell it to a Car Removal Company? I have a Toyota Corolla 1989 sedan. Please can you read the updated Carjam file via the following link?

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~raewyn-g/TOYOTA-COROLLA-1989.pdf I have also gone through the list of repairs for the last three years:
SEP-2011 (WOF)
- left front headlight bulb
- left stop tail light bulb
- right headlight (aim)
- right rear tyre
- rust under boot lid
- rust above top tail light
- rusty towbar

DEC-2011 (Vandalism)
- right front door window
- right front door side mirror

JAN-2011 (Vandalism)
- left front tyre
- left hand wiper arm & refill

MAR-2012 (WOF)
- histop light
- remedy play in left front hub
- remedy brake lights; intermittently staying on
- rust at top of screen

SEP-2012 (WOF)
- front disc pads
- dash & interior lights x 4 bulbs
- door switches x 2

MAR-2013 (WOF)
- left front headlight bulb
- left front indicator bulb
- wiper refill
- frost plug (coolant loss)
- oil filter & GTX oil
- coolant
- cambelt
- rust inside boot opening

SEP-2013 (WOF)
- right front indicator bulb
- left front low beam bulb
- radiator cap (coolant loss)
- coolant

DEC-2013 (coolant loss)
- k seal

MAR-2014 (WOF)
- rust by windscreen

Tyre Tread Depth:
LF: 7 mm
RF: 3 mm
LR: 5 mm
RR: 6 mm

http://www.carremovalwhangarei.co.nz/

lissa25, Feb 26, 7:10am
As is where is on Trademe they are a lot more popular and therefore valuable than the scrap pick up prices.

littlerae1, Feb 26, 7:12am
Thanks lissa25 - does it matter that the rego is on hold? Or does "as is where is" cover that?

lissa25, Feb 26, 7:17am
I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable posters will correct me if I am wrong, but if you advertise it as is where is with correct reg/wof expiry then you are not obligated to put new wof or reg on it. Make the most of your 20 photos by giving it a good polish and a vacuum and then list it with the reserve set at the same price as the scrap guys will give you, you may be surprised at how far the bidding will go on those old corollas. It could even be worth the risk of a $1 reserve as they are so popular.

kazbanz, Feb 26, 7:23am
wait a few weeks then aiwi -honest description of the car $1.00 reserve.
the markets a bit soft right now so wait till march

franc123, Feb 26, 7:28am
So what does it need to get roadworthy CURRENTLY? This has the biggest bearing on what method of disposal I'd be using and what its going to be worth to a buyer.

littlerae1, Feb 26, 8:02am
Yep, it definitely needs a clean since it looks like a car from the Adams Family; covered in dust and cobwebs :-)

http://tinyurl.com/nnyouhw

littlerae1, Feb 26, 8:05am
Cool! Thanks for that. If you can let me know when the best time to sell, I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your expertise kaz; it means a lot :-)

littlerae1, Feb 26, 8:12am
Rust above the windowscreen and suspected blown head gasket. I continually complained to the mechanic that the car was always losing water which is why the coolant was checked every six months. 18 months later he realised the water was coming out of the exhaust pipe and poured a sealant into the radiator. It no longer loses water but the one time the car overheated may have blown the head gasket?

pf, Feb 26, 8:12am
now is a good time to start . if it's not on TM it wont sell . start it at a price you would be happy to accept . your buyer may be looking tomorrow . if it's not listed how can he buy it ? .

tamarillo, Feb 26, 8:13am
Good advice above. If you can take to wof and show list of what's needed. Be honest, lots of photos. Reg on hold is great so say so. As is where is will work it's actually been replaced by some tosh about selling it for repair or wreck on,y blah blah but everyone gets simple as is where is from private seller.
You've had a good run except for rust.

franc123, May 27, 3:49am
Yes highly likely. Buck reserve and be honest about the problems, ok they're not five minute fixes but you will likely fetch a fair bit more than scrap price.