Car in water in Wellington

Page 2 / 2
tamarillo, Aug 8, 10:56pm
Maybe you have an old code. Current online is Leave your car in reverse gear if it's manual or in park if it's automatic.
Not completely sure as to why reverse but I think it was due to the lever then being in a totally odd position that you'd notice.

upnorth, Aug 9, 12:16am
Reverse is often a lower gear than 1st so gives max engine braking.

elect70, Aug 9, 1:59am
I had an issus with a council trucks handbrake that failed while he was emptying rubbish bins& it rolled down the hill hit the rear of my car . Councils insurer wouldnt pay as only cover" while driver is in control of the vehicle ." I had to take council to court to get recompense .

rbd, Aug 9, 3:31am
This is something to be damn careful with if you have an older Italian camchain manual car (such as Alfa, or Ferrari (I wish)). If parking downhill you must put it in first, if parking uphill you must put it in reverse. Why? Otherwise if the car rolls you spin the engine backwards and it can jump a camchain tooth on the crank gear without your knowledge. You then come back to your car and make a huge mess of the engine when cracking it to start!

The more important lesson that NZ'er are bad at is turning the wheels to the kerb when parking on slopes.

muzz67, Aug 9, 4:47am
Whats the secret to vehicles with hand-brakes which lock the driveshaft, ie disc/drum on the front of the diff?
Hiace truck had one, was parked on sloping grass when a rainshower came over.
Looked up to see it hurtling downhill with one wheel going backwards, (presume the other side going forwards?),, luckily stopped before hitting anything.
Guess leaving an auto in "park" without handbrake on is the same thing.

cjdnzl, Aug 10, 8:14am
Yep, my Primera won't let you remove the key if not in Park.

cjdnzl, Aug 10, 8:17am
No, it's because reverse is usually the lowest-geared option in a manual car, therefore exerts the most resistance to the car being able to turn the motor over.

2sheddies, Aug 10, 8:27am
In reference to poster #28, I reckon one of the most dangerous ideas is the fitting of cardan shaft type park brakes to some of the slightly larger GVM 4 wheeler trucks, as opposed to the far superior air actuated spring brakes. I wouldn't trust the former to hold a loaded truck on a slope.

sr2, Aug 10, 8:35am
Yes parking a loaded truck with a cardan shaft brake on a hill with one wheel on the gravel can get very interesting very quickly!

lugee, Aug 10, 12:54pm
Other way around in most (all) of my cars. The Accord daily is 3.285 first and 3.000 reverse. Bit of a pain actually because when it's cold idling, it reverses a tad too fast out of my driveway.

Probably better just having one blanket rule, as remembering which way around it goes would be a pain

henderson_guy, Oct 23, 9:27am