Small car

Page 1 / 2
poppi2, Aug 28, 3:05am
Hi all, we are looking for a small runbout car for me. Thinking maybe a Golf GTI or a Suzuki Swift. Any oter thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

brapbrap8, Aug 28, 3:22am
The Golf GTI and the Swift are not really comparable I think, one is a $50k performance car and the other is a $20k car designed only to be as cheap as possible.
Also a Golf is a bigger car than the Swift, it competes with medium cars like the Honda Civic, Mitsi Lancer, Nisan Pulsar etc, while the Swift is a small car more like a VW Polo, Mitsi Mirage type of thing.

The Golf will always be much, much nicer and sportier to drive, while the Swift is cheap to run. And thats about all the good things I can think of for the Swift.

poppy62, Aug 28, 4:25am
Citroen DS3 is well worth a look. what is the criteria for the car, new, used 2/4 door etc., would able more choices to be suggested.

kazbanz, Aug 28, 4:54am
poppi-why not stick with what you've got?
Its already taken the biggest hit its likely to in value.
But if its a smaller car you want then
1)Toyota Vitz/yarris,Ist -all variations of the same basic vehicle
2) mazda Demio
3)Nissan March/micra
4)Mitsubishi Colt /colt plus.
All are direct competition to the Suzuki swift.
As already stated the VW golf is a totally different vehicle.
The VW comparison is the Polo

poppi2, Aug 28, 5:44am
Hmmm. I think I am leaning towards the golf but really only want to spend 10k. as I said in my auction a genuine reason for selling hoping to free up some $ if possible.

kazbanz, Aug 28, 5:54am
poppi-10k will buy you an older golf or audi A3 or BMW 316/318ti
If you are thinking Golf size then the jap equivilents are
Toyota Allex,Runx,Corolla
Nissan Tiida
Mazda Axalla /mazda 3

kazbanz, Aug 28, 6:04am
It looks like a sporty car.
Please though if concidering it do FULL due diligence including a pre purchase inspection.
Also I would budget $1500 to ensure servicing is up to date.

brapbrap8, Aug 28, 6:21am
It looks good, but get a good pre purchase inspection.
NOT AA inspection etc. Take it to a VW/Audi/Skoda mechanic and get them to do it as it is critical they check the correct fluids are run in it, and they could also give you an idea of what it will cost to get servicing like the transmission and coolant up to date.

tamarillo, Aug 28, 7:28am
No mention of service history, why not? Good servicing essential otherwise you have no idea what you're buying into surely. If there is no book or history I'd be wondering why the hell not. Call me suspicious.

Has your asx got warranty left? I'd think buyers in that price range will lean towards dealer for assurance and finance, so if it has warranty left it would help maybe.

brapbrap8, Aug 28, 7:36am
ASX will have a 3 year warranty from original purchase date once it is second hand, so still in warranty until November 2017, same as when the WOF runs out.

kazbanz, Aug 28, 9:19pm
Its a fresh import from Japan -so written service history is likely sitting ion a desk somewhere.

tgray, Aug 28, 9:50pm
It's a decade old and been around the clock.
I think you could do a lot better with $11,000.
You mentioned a Swift. For a 'new shape' 2005 model, it would cost you a little more than half that. Granted, a completely different car, but you did mention both cars.

kazbanz, Aug 28, 10:17pm
poppi-heres the thing. If you want to spend less than 10k on a golf then realistically you need to spend $8500 on the car allowing $1500 for getting the servicing up to date.
You can buy a heck of a lot of car for 10k

tamarillo, Aug 28, 10:22pm
This is what I don't get. Why are they not sought, can't importers request all paperwork is kept?

whqqsh, Aug 28, 10:55pm
Golf & Swift are quite different cars, we hired a Swift while away & found it a rough ride, felt quite basic (even compared to the wifes 12 year old Golf) & the only redeeming feature was it's fuel economy. A fairer comparison would be a Polo v Swift

3tomany, Aug 28, 11:12pm
all cars need to have servicing up to date at time of sale. It seems from recent experience both dealers and private sellers alike are very reluctant to do a proper service prior to delivery. I:E all fluids, cam belt if close to due or even over due, spark plugs or any other thing due, they seem to think an oil change will keep it going for ever.

tgray, Aug 29, 2:08am
Fair enough with the higher priced cars, but it's not always possible to do that with a $3500 car and still see a return for your business on it.
Change a cambelt, do a trans flush, oil and coolant change and they won't be a margin left over.
Some would say they are used cars in used condition at used prices. You don't get a perfect, fault free car for $3500 unfortunately.
I take on board your point however. An oil and filter change should be a bare minimum and letting the new owner know what is due and when would be helpful and advisable.

3tomany, Aug 29, 2:31am
Very true at $3500 as a purchaser I would probably be happy to take the risk on major service items like trans etc so long as the seller is open and honest.

richardmayes, Aug 29, 3:48am
VW Golf GTi is a high-tech performance car, not a basic little runabout.

If you buy an old one cheap you are rolling the dice.

bwg11, Aug 29, 3:57am
I know you asked for motoring advice, not financial advice, but here goes anyway. Lets say you get 25k for your ASX and spend 10k on a replacement. $15k difference, that is $750 per year in interest @ 5%, (or $15 per week). You have a virtually new car now, and I'd be very surprised if a 10 year old,100k, Golf would not cost you as much extra just to keep it on the road.

tgray, Aug 29, 4:32am
I hope not to offend a regular contributor on this message board who I have a lot of respect for, but a VW Golf is one of the last cars I would decide to keep for myself (I sell 200+ cars a year).

naturalbubba, Aug 29, 11:46pm
Hi tgray - of the 200+ cars a year you sell, could you suggest/recommend perhaps another vehicle which you feel is a better option. I hope to buy a later model car before xmas myself and was thinking these Golf GTI looked great. Thanks for your help :)

brapbrap8, Aug 30, 12:34am
Yes I agree, buying an older performance car would likely be a false economy, as nice as the Golf GTI would be to drive.

poppy62, Aug 30, 3:01am
Biggest problem on this message board is that everyone is always looking for trouble/problems with cars. Considering the number of cars traversing the roads everyday it's rare to see any given or particular make or model broken down on the side of the road. most problem are minor and usually a modest price to repair. But at the rate, cars/vehicles are berated on here, one would assume that the repair/workshops are an excellent business to be in and most of the owners are well heeled to boot. I have very rarely come across a vehicle that I have purchased to have real issues. on the mechanical side of things the reliability factor is very good as opposed to the electronic side of things and realistically most vehicles will suffer from the electrics rather than the mechanicals. I believe if one finds a vehicle they like it tests out fine just go for it. There is always this message board to get the best opinions from should anything go wrong.

kazbanz, Aug 30, 3:19am
poppy--Im sorry I don't agree.There are makes/models that do seem to spend an awful lot of time sitting on the back of towtrucks and/or being driven with warning lights glowing on the dash.
In some cases its not a matter of if more a matter of when the issues will appear.
In fairness to the manufacturers though this is often outside of the vehicles designed lifespan.