Should he finish project car or sell

brokebloke1, Apr 13, 3:11am
Im writing this for a friend who doesn't have a computer, my friend has a classic ford capri and its in pieces been like this for past 4 yrs , he was going to restore it but health problems are making him revise his decision,
All the body work is done and its sitting in primer ( in a dry garage ), its a complete car with rego on hold .
Is the car worth anything as it sits or should he sell as is .
Or wait maybe a couple of years till he can finish it?

morrisman1, Apr 13, 3:28am
only he can answer that. Depends on how much motivation he has to get the car on the road once he is better. Im selling my project as Ive lost motivation, no point keeping something that doesn't inspire you anymore.

cabrio1, Apr 13, 3:34am
Projects that you start and doubt you will finish imo are best sold on. Otherwise you spend years of guilt looking at it thinking I should finish that even though deep down you know you never will.
Have sold a couple of projects on, a big weight off my shoulders allowed me to concentrate on stuff I could finish.
Surprising how much you can get for them also, plus the space it frees up.

franc123, Apr 13, 3:54am
Only the market is going to tell you what its worth, having live (and hopefully original?) plates is a big drawcard but what variant and what motor/trans is in it and how original that is, is a big factor in the value of Capris. Of course how complete it is and what's needed to finish it is too.

unideck, Apr 13, 4:20am
Sell it as is, financially he will be "probably" better off. Just finished one here and selling! (too many cars) and trust me I wish id never started, cost a fortune and only one winner IE the new owner. They say its best to buy a project car when its finished - let the originator complete and you reap the rewards and he takes the loss.

If he loves the Capri then maybe he should soldier on and keep it? but if his health won't allow him to enjoy doing it then best tell him its time to move on.

Now if its the 280 its worth good $$$ :)

tamarillo, Apr 13, 4:52am
What Capri is it? The old consul capri or later type? Year and engine? Lot depends on desirability of car.

trogedon, Apr 13, 5:23am
If its in a dry garage for say 2 years and won't degrade and he really likes like - keep it. Also there may be things he can do to it that aren't physically demanding - overhauling a brake cylinder etc. If his health is going to be bad in the longterm. sell it. Make sure it goes to a good home and maybe he could keep in contact with the buyer and see progress etc.

bwg11, Apr 13, 6:27am
Exactly. If it is a 1300 L. it has little value. Cash it up and walk away. On the other hand a 3000 Ghia is valuable "as is" or restored. The silly thing is that both will cost about the same to restore.

fordcrzy, Apr 13, 6:30am
projects always stall at the primer stage because the paint job is a huge outlay. you never get your money back on a project car. i spent 11K on a bare metal nut and bolt resto and only managed to get 3K for it at the time.

brokebloke1, Mar 15, 5:44pm
The Capri in question is a 1969 flat bonnet preface lift 1600 gtxlr ,all rust cut out ready for paint and interior . also rego on hold and has black plates