Difference between a courtesy car

Page 1 / 2
mk3crazy, Jul 21, 11:48pm
and paying $20 a day for the use of their car at a garage your getting your car fixed, is this still counted as a courtesy car? I could be wrong but the way I see it is that the garage is actually renting their car to you.

wsnownz, Jul 22, 12:42am
Fair call. It's not really a 'courtesy' as such if you're having to pay for it.

lookoutas, Jul 22, 5:16am
The garage owners aren't your parents. Why do people expect it for free?

You wanta see the mess they often come back in.

pico42, Jul 22, 5:20am
Still seems to be a courtesy to me to have a car readily available. Is there a legal definition of courtesy car?

toyboy3, Jul 22, 5:25am
$20 is a cheap ride for the day, try getting a taxi

lookoutas, Jul 22, 5:33am
If you absolutely can't do without a car, then there is an option of covering yourself for a rental.
I'm referring to having an accident here - not a garage doing mechanical work.

There is a catch tho - the first week is usually on you.

stevo2, Jul 22, 5:35am
Sounds like a hire car to me although a very cheap one.

tigertim20, Jul 22, 5:58am
I have personally never understood the expectation some people have, of the offer of a courtesy car.
if you were a gunsmith, and I bought my rife to you for repairs, would you hand me another gun to go shooting with while you fixed mine?

car industry seems to be the only one where people expect this.

bwg11, Jul 22, 6:12am
All true, but it is certainly an incentive to use the companies which provide a courtesy car.

mk3crazy, Jul 22, 6:22am
Everyone's got a fair comment but I think garages should say if it's a courtesy car or if it's actually going to be rented at a charge to you because some rental companies don't even charge that much for a days rental. Don't you have to register yourself as a rental company if your charging people for the use of a car by a company whether it's a actual rental company or some other business. I still think a courtesy car is a car they give you to use while your car is getting worked on and I don't expect a completely free ride as I always put petrol in a courtesy car.

lookoutas, Jul 22, 6:38am
You're a good guy - 9 out of 10 don't.

And people wonder why we think their first name is Far, and their second name is Kim.

lookoutas, Jul 22, 6:48am
This was published in the CRA Magazine.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/398800458.jpg

And it was out on loan.

jrlaw, Jul 22, 6:55am
The place I worked at a few years back now lost two courtesy cars in a couple weeks. Both wrecked and written off.

skull, Jul 22, 7:09am
I'd feel I was being looked after if I had the loan of a car for $20 per day plus fuel. I think if you're expecting it completely for free you would be dreaming, it has to be built into the price somehow.

franken1, Jul 22, 7:20am
It's called customer service. A concept that's probably way over your head.

franken1, Jul 22, 7:25am
You have low expectations. I expect a courtesy car when I take my car in for a service and get one every time at no charge. That's called great service.

muzz67, Jul 22, 7:30am
Guaranteed to be factored into your bill. You dont get something for nothing.

ml6989, Jul 22, 7:31am
The driver of one of our courtesy cars was caught speeding and was over the alcohol limit too. The company then got a letter from Worksafe in conjunction with ACC, NZ Police and Osh (I think) suggesting to management that he looked at putting us all through an alcohol assessment as it seemed that there was a problem within the company when a vehicle belonging to us was being driven by someone over the limit. Needless to say, none of the staff could get very interested!

franken1, Jul 22, 7:56am
I'm sure it is. My time is money too.

lookoutas, Jul 22, 9:12am
It's amazing that you seem to know me so well.
When it was important for me to not be without a vehicle, I made sure there was always a spare of some sort.
But in the back blocks, we do have to look after ourselves and don't have expectations of hand-outs.

I can except that a garage can supply a car for periods of a day or so. But some repair jobs can take over a month. Hell, I've just graphed one were the wait for the Insurance OK was 17 days!
Perhaps the Insurance Co should have a loan car for that period? Yeah right!

llortmt, Jul 22, 7:45pm
The more you give the more people expect.
We don't charge for loan cars but ask people to either replace the fuel they use or pay for the fuel they use at 20 cents a km.
I've had a guy scream at me about this because apparently my claim of 'free loan car' was a 'load of crap'!
Some people seem to think they can get an $80 job done while they burn $90 of our fuel!

skull, Jul 22, 8:10pm
That screamer customer sounds like the sort of customer you really don't need.

intrade, Jul 22, 8:40pm
yes you have to get good and prevent these customers of even become a client in the first place! i said it once before the americans have quite good info about this , on how and where shops go wrong.
seeming to always busy and are broke. where does the money go. its going somewhere and if you dont know where then your not in control of your business a simple to grasp fact. its better if a customer has a fit outside your shop then you having a fit when he dont pays after.

bitsy_boffin, Jul 22, 10:02pm
If they are chaging for it, wouldn't that means it requires a cof - as a hire vehicle? Could be opening themselves up to prosecution from powers that be if they are and it doesn't.

kazbanz, Jul 22, 10:09pm
Mate this is the first post in a long time from you in good engrish.
I happen to agree 100%