Rolling auto downhill in neutral?

Page 2 / 2
macman26, Mar 19, 10:51am
My old VC Valiant with a borg warner box years ago drop down to 2nd on a long downhill run and used to engine brake quite well.

3tomany, Mar 19, 4:45pm
no but as the rest have explained very well the fuel does. Stick around here you never know you might learn something LOL

3tomany, Mar 19, 4:54pm
you got me thinking about how dangerous it is to put a car in neutral going down hill. If in neutral yes the engine could stall, so loss of power steer, brake boost, abs, and many other safety features on a modern car would make that down hill run very exciting. Leave it in gear and even if engine should stop the drive from transmission will keep all those safety systems going.

johotech, Mar 19, 6:28pm
But you dropped it to second yourself. Modern transmission drop down gears automatically when your foot is off the accelerator and braking.

intrade, Mar 19, 7:29pm
There is even more
Modern ford and bmw and thats like mid 2000
to save more fuel and better the emissions.
They have a smart generator alternator what ever you wish to call it.
It will try and only turn on the power generator on down hills if it can.
This can then result in you wanting to check if your alternator is charging with a multimeter on the battery because you think you know what your doing. and there is no charge its just 12 .3 volt and you think the alternator must be broken.
No its not its comanded to stay off by the engine managment because there is still enough battery charge , The old way of constantly keeping a battery fully charged dont washes with lower fuelconsumption and extreem tuff emission laws.
Of course the smart charger costs more and can fail sooner then a 1940s car alternator where you could tap with a hammer on to the regulator to make it work again. or grab a nail file to clean the regulators contacts.

martin11, Mar 19, 8:53pm
Some Autos have a warning about not exceeding more than 50kph when in neutral . Something to do with the oil circulation in the box .

lookoutas, Mar 20, 5:20am
It would have to chuck off the spark - otherwise BOOM.

Some might be interested to know that once a cut is started with an Oxy/Acetylene torch, (reached ignition temp) and you are good enough. The acetylene can be turned off, and the cut can continue with only the oxy running.
A bit like compressing oil with Oxy.
Had a mate hook a nail gun up to an Oxy cylinder years ago. Bloody near killed him when the gun exploded.

aj.2., Mar 20, 5:36am
Pure rubbish, Cutting with out Acetylene, you loose all the heat from the cut, and the Oxygen cools it down so fast. That's what happens when you run out of Acetylene.
Warning /Never allow oil to come near compressed Oxygen, regulator's or fittings, as it can explode .

purple666, Mar 20, 5:44am
Ever used a thermic lance?

lookoutas, Mar 20, 6:06am
When ignition temp is reached and the oxy introduced, you don't need any more heat.

aj.2., Mar 20, 6:31am
27 years of gas cutting steel, and I don't know how many gas bottle changes, so I say your post is not correct.
Lpg Oxy ,has taken over for some cutting, takes longer to pre heat, does not have as high a temp as Act / Oxy cutting, but is better for rusty steel, as the rust with Oxy / act explodes a lot.

NZTools, Mar 20, 6:34am
Bullocks. Shut the acetylene off and the cutting stopps immediately ive bumped the acetylene knob often enough to test this.

aj.2., Mar 20, 6:35am
Yes in fact I have, twice, for burning a hole in concrete ,as I recall it is a steel pipe with steel rods in it, once the end is heated, burning you can burn into the concrete, but very different from cutting steel, and note the Rod is consumed as it goes, so is very costly to do things.

lookoutas, Apr 22, 10:05am
Is that all?
Try it. Bloody hard to maintain the correct speed and keep it going.