BMW central locking.

Page 2 / 2
tony461, Feb 17, 9:59am
Just a side thought, your battery have heaps of crank?

ema1, Feb 17, 12:03pm
There were a lot of Japanese Import BMW's built in South Africa, and some had Japanese parts in them from factory eg audio with Japan spec FM bandspread and air conditioning units Mitsubishi and Denso to name a couple. The one I owned about 20 odd years ago ( E28- 525e ) was equipped with such.
Large BMW plant there.

tamarillo, Feb 17, 6:23pm
Now that makes more sense, knew they built them in South africa, hadn't clicked they exported some to Japan. Ta.

Anyway, obviously op s one had been neglected a wee bit! These are tough little cars. Would love to race one.

rsr72, Feb 17, 7:21pm
The later E46 3 Series saloons sold new in NZ were South African built.
The South African plant supplied/s much of Asia.
E90's up might also be from there.
Coupes were German built.

poppy62, Feb 17, 8:25pm
Actually the 3 Series BMWs were built in Thailand (from 2000) for the Asia Pacific market.

ema1, Jun 12, 4:12pm
Until recently a cousin of my now departed mum was driving an immaculate 1975 Toyota Corolla 4 door. RWD.3K-1200cc manual.
She lived in next block up the same street I live in, about 250m away.
It was in exceptional condition, she doesn't drive now gave it up at age 89 in 2010.
She is now aged well in her 90's and is a resident of a rest home.
I guess being in Central Otago since she bought it in 1976 the "rust" factor actually wasn't evident as I never saw any rust on it ever.
Not sure where that car is now?
There's a few TT 131 and the later TT141 Corona's still getting about down here in quite good order locally .
Also some old Mitsubishi Galants and Datsun 1600's and a few 180B & 200B's getting around here still. amazing.
Ones that have been in Central Otago most of their lives don't suffer the ravages of rust like those in most other areas of NZ.
There are cars that have been local all their lives that are 50-60 years or more old in excellent condition body wise.
Even some old Australian and English cars here, I have a rust free immaculate Mercedes Benz 220SEb that has been inland all it's life, it's 50 years old this year.
Even abandoned pre WW2 car bodies I've seen on some farms are still remarkably intact.