When is a NZ new car NZ new?

duffpot, Dec 21, 8:30am
Have been looking at a car advertised as NZ new and Carjam agrees it has NOT been registered overseas. However it is not badged the same and the pictures show the reversing camera with Japanese lettering. So it is probably imported new by a third party but is it "NZ new" ?

monaro17, Dec 21, 8:38am
As I understand it, a car is only nz new if New Zealand is the FIRST country of registration

coolnzmum, Dec 21, 8:39am
If its first registration is in NZ then I think it is NZ new. Don't think we build any cars in NZ. now.

supernova2, Dec 21, 8:42am
IMHO "NZ new" means that it has not been registered for use anywhere before arriving in NZ.

Since nothing is made here anymore it could be argued that there actually can't be any vehicle that is truly "NZ new". Same applies to TVs. Think it through. Made in Asia, sold to NZ wholesaler, sold to retailer, sold to customer. Customer thinks its "new" but in reality it's 4th or more hand.

bwg11, Dec 21, 9:06am
I see "NZ New" as being a vehicle of NZ specification, sold new by a NZ franchised dealership, not an old stock JDM model imported by a third party with negligible distance traveled and registration "as new" in NZ.

seadubya, Dec 21, 9:10am
In my opinion an NZ new car has a warranty that will be honoured by the NZ branch for that manufacturer.

duffpot, Dec 21, 9:12am
Yes but it is badged E220 and in NZ it is E250. So if it is not built for the NZ market and sold new through the usual dealer but basically is a "parallel import" new and first registered in NZ would you consider it NZ new. Is it really an import that happens to have not been first registered overseas

duffpot, Dec 21, 9:14am
so I agree with bwg and sea it is not NZ new then

kazbanz, Dec 21, 10:36am
duffpot. I think the definition of NZ new is that the vehicle has never been registered overseas.
You can't use the "intended for NZ use" line because vehicles intended for other markets have ended up sent to NZ. This vehicle may be a bit more blatant but Its been happening since adam was a cowboy.

clark20, Dec 21, 6:11pm
I take NZ New to mean it is first registered here, however is backed by the car company as a car they endorse here, and supply/stock parts and service items here. Their techs have the training and service equipment to back the cars up.

bwg11, Dec 21, 6:34pm
Yes common, I bought a Kawasaki KT250 in about 1977, new but 18 months old after the shipment had been to the States and rejected on exhaust emissions.

tgray, Dec 21, 6:53pm
So by this definition, the 2014 Corvette I bought earlier this year will be NZ new.
It has never been registered overseas and will be registered for the first time in NZ next year when the permits become available.
Somehow I don't think the public will agree that it is a NZ new car.

westwyn, Dec 21, 9:03pm
"NZ New" is a moot point that is far more a marketing exercise than a legal definition. Case in point- the "new" Cadillacs imported a few years ago by Ebbetts, they were a cancelled order for the launch of the model in Australia that had the pin pulled at the last minute- Ebbetts bought the lot, shipped them to NZ and sold them here as "NZ New" quite legitimately.

What's new? The definition of "never registered elsewhere" is a strawman argument, since those in the industry understand that in Japan, you cannot export a car outside the manufacturer self-certified "type approval" scheme, without a Deregistration Certificate (also known as an Export Certificate). So to export a brand-new car from Japan, you must first "register" it (titled by the selling dealer) and then "deregister" it (the transactions could happen on the same day) to obtain the necessary paperwork. The car itself is brand new. It's never been driven. It's simply a paperwork transaction to satisfy the vagaries of an international marketplace that (in some cases) is nothing more than protectionist. Try buying a new Mercedes-Benz in the United Kingdom for example, unregistered and disclosing it is for export.

Even the "comes with manufacturer warranty" line isn't strictly accurate, since a few more distributors here than you might think, simply "skin" over an aftermarket warranty policy and provide to the public as the "manufacturer" policy.

sw20, Dec 21, 9:29pm
NZ New means you or someone else walked into the local dealer and bought the car. The car must have been available for purchase in this country brand new by going into the dealer.

Anything else is an import, regardless of mileage or age.

tgray, Dec 21, 9:38pm
I would interpret 'NZ new' as a car that is sold as a new car in NZ.

richardmayes, Dec 21, 10:13pm
If you pay more for a "NZ new" car you're paying for the ability to drive it into the local franchise / dealer for that marque, and when you drop it off the mechanic will say something like

"Oh good, one of these. I remember when we sold these new, I did all the services for a heap of these under warranty, and the symptoms you're having were always caused by the secondary flux capacitor in the engine room fuse box. So I'll check that first, there are a couple other things could be causing it but I'm 99% certain that capacitor will be the cause of your problems."

A parallel-imported, similar-but-different model you simply don't get that.

tgray, Dec 21, 10:28pm
Whenever I hear a mechanic say that.

elect70, Dec 22, 2:21am
So you just store it unti l you can register it ? It should still be regisred as NZ new if it came direct from dealer / factory on it . Sure lot of cars arrive here are "old stock" from pev year

tgray, Dec 22, 3:12am
I sold it months ago uncomplied and the new owner will do it in the new year. Had thousands of miles on the clock.
I wouldn't consider it a NZ new car.

duffpot, May 16, 6:03pm
Thank you all. I will be sticking with the franchised dealer.