Yz85 clutch

cabrio1, Jan 6, 7:29am
My boys yz85 clutch doesn't feel right.
No progression , just grabs and off you go.
I've taken the plates out, not too bad. Looking at the basket there's some wear/notches but nothing too extreme.
However when I grab the outer basket it moves quite a bit. Inboard/outboard and fwd and back, not a few thou either.
Should it have this much movement?, I have new plates to go in but if the baskets rooted rather I change it now.
Any experience with this?
I imagine it should be fairly tight on the shaft with not too much lateral movement?

budgel, Jan 6, 9:08pm
I think you are right, there shouldnt be that much movement, It sounds to me like the basket should be replaced.

sr2, Jan 7, 2:15am
Try dressing the clutch basket fingers with a file. It's often enough to stop the clutch grabbing, particularly if you are fitting new plates.

cabrio1, Jan 7, 5:35am
Had a word with gisler tech today and yes I think the basket is rooted, shouldn't move like that.
Thanks for the answers, just time to cough up some cash.

yz490, Jan 7, 5:53am
Links below might help--'or not'. Wouldn't get too worried about play unless you think someone has left a washer out previously. Finger ware isn't good if it's deep but i've seen some bad ones still working perfect when dismantled for some other reason. First i'd try the new plate & you might be surprised. Assuming new plates 'don't give you steels as well--have a close look at them from the point of view of being flat. Sometimes the steels are actualy alloy [if that makes sense] & can wear with a bit of step equal in size to the pads on the fiber plates. In & out movement might just be the basket how it's riveted into the cush drive of the hub gear [if they have 'that']. If that's the case i'd not worry at this point--within reason. Try plates! & i see there's no internal adjustment either on partzilla pics. Looks like only adjustment is cable adjustment which is a bit odd as usualy [with yamaha] the arm needs to start off about in the right place to give good & easy lift. Interested to hear the outcome.

http://forum.dirtrider.com/discussion/6775276/how-to-smoothen-power-delivery-clutch-problem-yz85-asv-clutch/p1 http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/YZ-85-clutch-problems,1045983
endless stuff up there--just good the problem, even videos.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2009/YZ85+-+YZ85Y/CLUTCH/parts.html

yz490, Jan 7, 6:12am
mean't to also add--is the cable nice & free, as in super free to glide smoothly. Force some oil through it [or even crc is quite good & easier to get through. If 'any' doubt, fit a new cable & lube it before fitting it on as easier to lube when cable's out straight & not under tension etc.

cabrio1, Jan 7, 6:22am
Yeah I bought new cable, plates the whole lot, it wasn't expensive.
But when I pulled the old plates out was amazed at how much play was in the inner basket, almost a floating feeling.
Gaudenz at gisler tech is very good, he thinks maybe the inner needle bearing is toast.
Have to agree someting ain't right just feels wrong.
I will get a clutch holding tool and pull the basket out, although very tempted to just try new plates as you suggest, may still give that a go.

yz490, Jan 7, 10:53am
Gaudenz is a top man but would need to see it to diagnose it properly, [& he'd do it properly]. Not sure if we're getting our wires crossed but above you say 'inner basket'. If you mean clutch hub [or clutch center] as opposed to clutch basket [the outer bit] then maybe you have another problem. If the center nut is tight there shouldn't be any play [in & out or up & down] If i'm reading all that wrong & misunderstanding then no worries---------carry on.

cabrio1, Jan 7, 8:04pm
yeah the nut is tight, as is the centre portion.
The outer portion wobbles like a jelly on a plate and this is what concerns me lol.
Thanks for your advise though, yz490, that truly is a fearsome bike.

intrade, Jan 7, 8:10pm
your a aircraft engeneer. go back to basics , study how it works and what you have on the car- bike vehicle what ever it is , then start testing what is good and when your finished with it you found the problem. you dont go looking for whats wrong you go looking for what is right. till you found whats is wrong , then you retest to make sure all is right.
You dont design a aircraft with yea let me do a bit here and a bit there now dont you?

yz490, Mar 9, 4:00pm
Just thinking if the basket is wobbling but the basket 'big' gear isn't, & the rivets are tight, then that can only be play in the way it's riveted into the cush, & cush rubbers do give up over time then play increases. Parts can't escape [proving it 'is' that type & not a riveted up solid type without a cush set up]--should be obvious. No needle bearings in there that can be seen in the parts pic so the big gear will just run on a bush which will be a pressed in part of the middle of 'that' big gear. Hope that reads ok--keep adding & deleting bits.