Mitsubishi Challenger.good or no go?

no1niki, Jan 28, 4:22am
I'm looking at buying the above 4wd but have been told by family not to touch it as Mitzi's are trouble. is this correct or ? I have a Honda CRV currently. Both 1996. So stay with the Honda or go with the Mitzi?

brapbrap8, Jan 28, 4:58am
I think an older one like a 96 wouldn't be a bad wagon, they are essentally a Triton/L200 ute underneath and use the same engines.
I would get it checked out by a Mitsi dealership and see what they think.

matarautrader, Jan 28, 5:01am
We are on her 5th Mitsi 4WD and currently have a 2003 Challenger. No problems, no trouble yet. Had a company with 9 Mitsi's. Only trouble we had was when someone crashed one ( and he walked away)

no1niki, Jan 28, 5:04am
So you guys would suggest taking the Mitzi over the Honda?

no1niki, Jan 28, 5:05am
It has just had a new WOF put on it but rego is on hold.

matarautrader, Jan 28, 5:32am
If its the green one for $3999 its petrol. Ours is as well and our last trip towing a small trailer to help our daughter move flats worked out at 11.1 litres / 100 km. Thats Whangarei - Auckland, around Auckland and return to Whangarei. If you are using it to tow it will probably be better than the CRV. We find the suspension is very firm in our Challenger.

no1niki, Jan 28, 5:40am
No its a private sale not in Trademe & its diesel. I don't need it for towing. I was thinking being diesel be better but have been told that now its not so great as $500 to Rego each year & the RUC charges bring it all in to line with petrol. I have no idea about 4wd vehicles so getting confused with what to do. Reason for wanting to change is i basically am sick of the CRV as it has had a leak in it for awhile now & it has just sprung another inside. maybe easy fix i have no idea?

brapbrap8, Jan 28, 5:41am
No1Niki,
What do you need to do with this vehicle?
The CRV and Challenger are quite different, with the Challenger being quite a bit bigger and built on a commercial vehicle chassis so it would be better for towing, off roading or putting heavy things in the back (I know a few tradies who use them loaded up with tools).
The CRV might be a bit cheaper to run, being smaller and lighter. It should also have cheaper tyres.
A CRV is less likely to have been thrashed off road like a Challenger could be as well.

Just saw your previous post, yes diesels are more expensive to register.
Depending where exactly you think the leak might be in the CRV it could be something pretty easy to fix, like a rubber seal for example.

no1niki, Jan 28, 5:58am
I only need it really for work & to pick things up i cant fit in the car, the CRV has been really handy for that & yes agreed compact in sizing has made it a great little run about. The leaks are coming from the roof somewhere i think. the long time one floods my drivers floor which you can hear the water squish when you step inside on the carpet & seems to be when you open the drivers door you see the wet panel, you cant see it when the door is closed. the other leak im unsure but is leaking on to the passengers seat.

survivalkiwi, Jan 28, 5:38pm
I have owned six mitsis over the years (Including challenger) and never had a problem. I currently own two that we bought brand new. On the occation I decided to go to toyota I had problems (except two townace vans they were great). Same when I went to subaru (major desaster) and both Aussy cars I owned (continous minor problems).

no1niki, Jan 29, 12:37am
Thank you everyone, pays to ask huh. Much appreciated

msigg, Jan 29, 1:46am
The leak in the Honda crv is probabily the roof rac mounting, or just near that spot, also the top of the windscreen when the rubber is all dried out. The CRV is a good wagon, my partners one has done 250kis still drive graet, the challenger is bigger and a different kettle of fish, as said better for towing etc, yes the diesel should be good.

no1niki, Jan 29, 7:55am
Yea i think the 2nd leak is coming from the roof rack area. not so sure about the 1st leak but very possible.

phillip.weston, Jan 29, 2:29pm
The CR-V is known to rust badly in the roof around the top of the A pillars. Have seen a couple with bad rust after 10-15 years of age.

no1niki, Jul 15, 8:11am
Yep that is right