Mitsubishi Pajero 2.4 vs 2.8D VS V6 models

scotty20001, Jan 15, 6:03am
mate wants to buy a 4wd and a Pajero is one of his options i know to stay away from the 4D56 as its a boat anchor but what are the other engines like i am asking on behalf of my mate as i know stuff all about the engines in these things, cheers.

n3d4sp3d, Jan 15, 6:06am
what year is he looking at different engines available from different years

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 6:10am
2.8 litre turbo diesel and non GDi 3.5 litre V6 engines (but not the quad cam) are the best and most suitable for off road applications when it comes to Pajeros. Although, I'd be quite happy with a 4D56 as long as the turbo and cambelts are OK.

franc123, Jan 15, 6:21am
I think we should start by finding out what he plans doing with it, is it going to be the family car, a work commuter, or solely a weekend toy for a bit of offroading or boat towing!Or a combo of all three!

scotty20001, Jan 15, 6:22am
propper off road and towing a trailer full of dirt bikes off the beaten track and doing 4wd expeditionsso no cr-v shit for him he needs a proper 4wd.

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 6:26am
Cool. Also get a manual one. Some even have factory rear diff locks.

scotty20001, Jan 15, 6:33am
what engine is the best for durability in the Pajeros though! yeah he is after a manual if he can get one.

scotty20001, Jan 15, 6:35am
and what is the 2.4 petrol 16 valve like!

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 6:44am
In my opinion, a well serviced 4M40T (2.8 turbo diesel).

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 6:47am
Very good, cambelt driven but easy to work on. That would be my pick if my budget was limited, as prices for diesel engine parts are too dear, should something go wrong.

scotty20001, Jan 15, 6:48am
yeah i am leaning towards the same thing anything to watch for on these motors! i have heard they are timing chain which is a + rather then a friends with the devil satan worshiping ahole timing belt.

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 6:58am
If anything, I would check for freeplay in the turbo shaft. Pull the dipstick out and rub the oil from it between your fingers. If your fingers end up with a permanent black stain, then the oil is very old, if you can wipe your fingers clean then it's OK. If you see any rusty water in the radiator, walk away from it. Pull the intercooler hoses off and look for signs of oil, in theory, there should be no oil residue in there. That's an indication of a slightly tired diesel. Start the engine, there should be no rattles from the timing chain, and look at the crankshaft pulley. If it's wobbly as f. than you'll need a new one, not a big deal. Mitsubishi diesels LOVE to eat glow plugs, so if it's hard to start when cold with loads of grey smoke, don't panic too much. Blue smoke = bad, as you know. Gear changes should be smooth, but can be a touch notchy when cold.

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 7:03am
They are easy enough to do on a 2.4 petrol engine. V6 takes well under 3 hours if you take your time.

sheepey, Jan 15, 9:08am
Seeing you are in Christchurch give Kerryat diamond mitsubishi a call.He has been wrecking them for years as well as doing 4x4 stuff with them, he knows them very well.I haven't spoken with him in a while but he used to be 3381270.