Is this the ugliest car ever made?

Page 1 / 2
whakabout-farms, Apr 21, 12:02am

richardmayes, Apr 21, 12:16am
Why is it that anything even slightly outside of the ordinary status quo, almost always gets labelled "ugly", "hideously ugly", or "The ugliest ever"?

Is it because we secretly think that Toyota Hiluxes, Honda Accords and Mazda MPVs are GOOD LOOKING cars?

That thing just looks like a Range Rover, cut down at the back to provide a (small) tray, and with bits of faux-aerodynamic lego all over it. similar to what most of the other big slab sided, square-nosed, I-have-more-money-than-cargo, tough-guy utes currently have as optional extras.

My neighbour has a big Ford Ranger(?) ute that would look right at home alongside this thing.

extrayda, Apr 21, 12:29am
I usually like that sort of thing (sometimes I have dubious taste :-) )
But yes, I think that is ugly. Especially the rear.

moby, Apr 21, 12:50am
Pickup what ? One sheep or two bales of hay (the small ones).

richardmayes, Apr 21, 1:07am
The best ute conversion I ever saw was an HQ Holden double cab ute, made from a station wagon with the body cut off just behind the rear doors, and I forget what tray on the rear. It was a decent tray, the size of what proper utes had at the time.

This was in the 1980s, when the first Toyota and Nissan double cab utes were just beginning to be marketed, and everyone was saying "hey that's clever, a ute with a 4-door cab!"

whqqsh, Apr 21, 1:17am
yup, decks are getting smaller because the true ute & the use of them is being eroded by non-tradies that just want to look the part (spose as long as it looks good on Ponsonby Rd). Even then we've had guys turn up at work with stuff on the back seat because, quote, 'its too hard get stuff out of the tray & I cant be bothered climbing up'. Stupid 4wd modern pickups trying to be utes & failing miserably

tony9, Apr 21, 2:06am
What a pity Top Gear cannot comment and test it.

henreitta, Apr 21, 2:44am
I dont like the shape of most modern cars, but this one is real ugly.
Wonders why anybody would buy one

barrylarry, Apr 21, 2:49am
pretty sure Id rather drive that than a Multipla

carstauranga001, Apr 21, 3:48am
Ditto, I'm not "pretty sure" I know "for sure"!

socram, Apr 21, 4:14am
No. Not the ugliest ever made. But one has to ask, why bother?

dublo, Apr 21, 4:15am
The writer of the article about that Range Rover conversion says it all when he says "there is space for toys in the tray!"

Now, while we are on the subject of ugly cars, if anyone tries to take me to my funeral in a Nissan Juke I'll wake up and jump out.

ema1, Apr 21, 4:43am
Nissan Juke . ha ha ha more like Nissan JOKE, what an unfortunate name?

tamarillo, Apr 21, 4:47am
Made sense when I noticed it was released in China and they also target Arab world.
Different tastes.

morrisjvan, Apr 21, 4:59am
Not that ugly ,but completely pointless!

elect70, Apr 21, 5:02am
There was a Rolls Royce ute made once , RR were not amused

dublo, Apr 21, 5:39am
Rolls-Royce 40/50HP cars ("Silver Ghosts") were fitted with armoured car bodies in WW I (Lawrence of Arabia used them), and as fire engines and tow trucks!

lazzo, Apr 21, 5:49am
Haha. Yes the Juke is friggin ugly, I'd say it's the modern day equivalent of the Fiat Multipla really. Some people just down the street from me proudly park theirs in their drive and every time I run past their place I have a wee giggle.

ebygum1, Apr 21, 6:05am
There was one of these at Tuakau,I was just talking about it last week,the owner also had a Jag. XK120 or 150 that he badly damaged one night. Possibly still has them.

kazbanz, Apr 21, 6:37am
have a look at the Izuzu mu of about 2002 -same set up

tgray, Apr 21, 6:55am
Yep, that looks completely ridiculous.

trogedon, Apr 21, 6:55am
No, Arabs can put their Falcons in it. Can't have the birds inside can we?

desmodave, Apr 21, 7:15am
I don't think my dogs would approve , not enough room .

hfc2, Apr 21, 7:56am
Mahindra ?

karlp2, Apr 21, 9:11am
For the 370kw that thing puts out a 0-100 time of 5.3 is not particularly quick, I'm guessing it must be lugging a lot of weight around for it to not be under 5 seconds?