2001 bmw repair needed

bobthebuilderb, Mar 6, 1:21am
our 2001 318i bmw prob needs anew motor? ran out of water and think motor has seized? any backyard mechanics out there willing to give it a go?

elect70, Mar 6, 2:26am
If you cooked it shes rooted will have warped the head at least . buy used motor & get mech to help you fit it

poppajn, Mar 6, 7:53am
Scrap it, a motor will cost more than it's worth

intrade, Mar 6, 8:08am
might also have to fix the reason why the engine ran out of water. along the way . do you know why it ran dry? also why would it seeze if it still had oil?

katee29, Jun 15, 11:27am
ok so maybe not seized but wouldnt it have a cracked head or something now if it ran out of water and made terrible noises and blew out steam?

thejazzpianoma, Jun 15, 6:36pm
It's quite possible the motor is toast, but not a given. The first step IMO would be to give the engine a quick compression and leakdown test before writing it off.

What exactly did these "terrible noises" sound like?

Where did it "blow out" the steam, from the exhaust or engine area?

Does the motor crank/start now? (If it starts only run it for a few seconds with no water in it)

elect70, Jun 16, 2:07am
If its alloy block & head dont even bother just replace engine if want to keep the car . overheating roots them ,need severe head & block skim & never the same & way too expensive to recon compared to cars worth

msigg, Jun 16, 5:34am
Yes elect70 is on to it, get a second hand engine from a smashed car some cheap labour to fit, or sell the whole car for parts. Not worth mucking around with.

sticky232, Jun 16, 5:58am
Scrap lt my son had one took to mechanics over 4,000 worth to fix never right each time he took back something else was wrong

tamarillo, Jun 16, 6:00am
Might help if you told us where you are? Someone in auckland won't be much help if you're in Invercargill!
I can advice if you're in Nelson! Euro workshop here wrecks them.
As others said you might be lucky and get away with head gasket only but not if it is seized.

jmma, Jun 16, 6:03am
Probably Christchurch.
Google told me to look at his profile Lol (o:

tamarillo, Jun 16, 6:04am
yes you're right, just kinda feel we shouldn't need to look at profiles if someone wants help that is geographically inclined.
But I'll remember to ask Google next time!

pandai, Jun 16, 6:12am
I'd go and ask the boys at Eurorec what they can do

jason_247, Jun 16, 6:36am
if its 2001 its likely a n42b18 engine which is a hateful piece of crap.
very prone to cooling issues, valve train issues and burning oil.

Bmws are very prone to plastics in the cooling system failing so along with a new engine i would be looking at replacing the radiator, hoses, expansion tank and waterpump/thermostat as its routine maintanence with these engines. bet on $600-$1000 for these parts depending on your hookups

tamarillo, Jun 16, 10:27am
Op, you need to get it diagnosed and learn the extent of the damage first. If you find a cowboy to have a go they might waste time and money doing wrong things.

bobthebuilderb, Jun 20, 7:01am
I'm in christchurch

bobthebuilderb, Jun 20, 7:01am
I'm in Christchurch.thanks everyone for all the advice.

kdcentralni, Jun 21, 9:42pm
Worth more in parts now seat occupancy sensors, shocks, seat trim, etc.

petermcg, Jun 22, 12:45am
Just be sure to diagnose the problem correctly, If the engine run out of water possibly overheated and seized from being to hot, there is a good chance that it will run agin when it cools down as it will only get tight while it is still to hot. If it runs again, do a check on comressions and also for leaking head gasket and or crack, The headgasket should not be blown just because the motor got hot, it is the other way round, a blown headgasket will generally create a symptom the will make the engine get hot. If it has no comression it is the rings, so if the head gasket is still ok, I would not remove the head. Simply remove the engine and remove crank and pistons from the underside of the engine, replace the rings for a couple of hundred dollars, and off course remedy where you are loosing the water from.

bobthebuilderb, Jun 22, 6:32am
so roughly what would you think its worth for parts?

elect70, Jun 23, 3:39am
^^^ there is a similar 1 on TM in Ch ch , rolling

tamarillo, Jun 23, 9:18pm
depends on how good car is and what options it has like leather seats. But wrecker I know never pays more than grand normally 500. Ouch.

thunderbolt, Jun 23, 9:34pm
Any chance you could make a video showing this gold nugget of advice in action?
Close ups of how you remove and refit pistons with new rings through the bottom of the block would be very helpfull.

anenigma, Jan 28, 2:19am
Shame you in Chch Bob - a mate would buy that now