Honda oil change

..james.., Nov 1, 7:40am
Hi , I am pricing up different engine oils for my 2001 honda oddessey RA6 2.3l. the manual says to use genuine honda oil or one of the same type regarding some codes I don't understand. I could buy it from a honda dealer i guess but would like to shop around for prices. I do want to put in the best oil rather than not. Can anyone enlighten me on this? It is a 10/30 in the manual. Also are filters all equal or should a honda one be better? thanks heaps.

mugenb20b, Nov 1, 8:03am
I would just go to Repco or Supersheep and get whatever's on special of the known brands like Castrol, Shell, Penrite, etc. As for the filter, genuine is best but again Repco or Ryco brands will be just fine. 10/30 (10w30) is oil viscosity, you can use 10w40 or 10w50 as well.

franc123, Nov 1, 8:05am
Castrol list Magnatec 10w/40 for that engine, and really if you are after an all round good quality lube its pretty hard to go past. As for filters see what Honda charge for them, if they're under $20ea you may as well use them, its not going to be much less than that for aftermarket.

..james.., Nov 1, 8:19am
thanks for that , the magnetic is only $50 at super cheap so is cheaper than the honda oil at $ 66 so if it is just as good will be good for my wallet. I will ring honda about the filter on monday.

mugenb20b, Nov 1, 8:22am
$50 for Magnatec is too much. Repco sometimes do special deals like Magnatec oil and filter combo for $50. Up to you though.

dasfi, Nov 1, 10:22am

kingfisher21, Nov 1, 10:40am
Magnatec 10W/40 Used in just about all my vehicles, comes on special regularly for around $25-$30

mrcat1, Nov 1, 6:55pm
As anyone given any thought's to what spec oil Honda are recommending?
All of you go on about viscosity, that only really comes down to ambient air temperature, none of you actually look at the Specification that Honda is recommending.
Even the OP says he doesn't understand some codes that Honda are recommending, that is the important part of it, has to meet or exceed those specification.
And with newer vehicles coming out that require low saps oil and the like, the spec plays a big part in what goes into the engine especially vehicles with DP filters, emission gear etc.
If you put the wrong spec oil in a vehicle under warranty and it does damage which it can, and you try and claim and the manufacturer suspects the oil is the incorrect specification, no warranty.
Pretty dumb really to save a couple of dollars to potentially cost thousands.

mrcat1, Dec 4, 8:03am
A 40 or 50 weight oil is getting pretty heavy for a small modern engine, if its using oil then maybe but to heavy and they can start to rattle in the top end.