Auto locking front hubs

elect70, Apr 11, 3:49am
Friend bought a Dihatsu rocky 4wd with auto locking hubs , got stuck on the beach on monday , no front wheel drive . . told him rip those stupid things out , false economy , but what does he need to replace them with fixed , stub axles from a wrecked ! ? confirmed drive to the front diff .

bwg11, Apr 11, 4:39am

skin1235, Apr 11, 4:44am
just strip and clean them, relube them properly and refit them
and tell him he must and put it into 4wd at least once per month so they get a bit of lube splashed around inside them

the auto locking hubs are very economic to use, and if the normal instructions are adhered to, do not fail
they're very simple and once you understand what makes them work you do appreciate having them

next you'll be telling us auto gearboxes are a stupid false economy

mrfxit, Apr 11, 5:43am
Agreed, unless you are going hard out on back block mud tracks a lot, the auto hubs are fine

skin1235, Apr 11, 5:56am
the only time they won't work is when there is no resistance to the wheel turning, ie bellied and spinning in air - and 4wd ain't going to work then anyway dave, the old pig had big chunky tires, and big chunky chains too, and auto hubs, it never let me down on traction, only once I had to leg it home, cos the pig was 5 mts below the track sitting on the breast of the slip, nowhere forward or back, and definitely not further down, but that was my own fault, it took 3 months drying before I was game enough to take the crawler up there to pull it back to the track

gsimpson, Apr 11, 6:27am

elect70, Mar 17, 12:57pm
Fine for road but this thing is purely for beach /boat launching not road use , hence why i said to get rid of the hubs as it will sit for 6 months of the year . Ive had 1 landrover with FW hubs but dont believe there was any signifigant fuel savings & they didnt like river silt in them , lots of guys even put plastic bags over them for river work , & everytime you needed 4wd the bloody things were out .