Fuse in Falcon

roberta2, Aug 16, 2:25am
Hi, my falcon ute has a 50amp fuse where the manual says there should be a 140 amp fuse there. This fuse is for the main (whatever that is). I brought the vehicle like this. Should I change fuse to a 140 fuse. I noticed most of the Fuses are below the size the manuals says. Could this be causing damage. My brain is telling me the fuses should be the size stated in the manual. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Robyn

franc123, Aug 16, 2:46am
It seems a bit weird that someone would go to the trouble of de rating all the fuses. Do they not correspond with what's on the fuse box cover label either?

gunhand, Aug 16, 2:48am
Why you looking at your fuses? And are you lining up the correct fuses and fuse area with the manual? One would assume the manufacture would know whats best.

roberta2, Aug 16, 3:13am
It is weird some of the fuses are lower than stated in manual and fuse cover. I am lining up the fuses correctly with the manual and double checked with fuse cover that also has the fuse sizes and diagram. The back window demister is not working and wondered if it was a blown fuse, that's why I was checking fuses. The battery that came with the ute was way too small had to buy a bigger one. I've assumed the last owner did everything on the cheap or made do with what was at hand.

franc123, Aug 16, 3:41am
Well if you are certain what ones are wrong then yes by all means swap them out for the correct ones. So the rear demister is dead, no warning light coming up on dash? If the fuse is ok you may have to bridge out the relay for it in the dash fuse box and the see what happens.

roberta2, Aug 16, 5:42am
Thanks franc123, no warning light on dash, I'll take it to the garage for them to sort out. Thanks for your help.

wind.turbine, Aug 16, 5:49am
you wont cause damage with having under rated fuses as they will just end up blowing earlier if something is drawing more Amps than the fuse is rated for, you will how ever cook things if the fuse was rated too high

kenw1, Aug 16, 6:26am
Smaller fuses are great, they just blow that bit earlier. Fuses are not a world beating form of protection.The problem comes when someone swaps them out with silver foil specials, its very hard to get the smoke back into the cable.

12 volts at 140 amps is just a bit over 1600 watts, that is if the fuse does blow at 140 amps.

msigg, Aug 16, 6:56am
wind.turbine is correct, if your worried about it call into the auto sparky and ask him. Everything is working that's all good.

aredwood, Oct 3, 8:23am
The different fuse ratings are probably just to do with what options the car does or doesn't have. I would be expecting larger fuses in a car with things like electric heated seats. Compared to the base model.

Also the "main" fuse is probably for the alternator.