Car reliabilty UK results.

Page 1 / 2
stevo2, Sep 6, 7:17pm

tony9, Sep 6, 7:30pm
Not a great showing for the pure EV's.

trouser, Sep 6, 7:45pm
Nissan Leaf at third car though. Tesla on the other hand.

supernova2, Sep 6, 8:11pm
However the top 20 are all 90% or better. I reckon that's pretty good given that we have no idea what the perceived "faults" were.

gammelvind, Sep 6, 9:09pm
Add to that a simple fault in a cheap car might be ignored but in an expensive car the same fault could be regarded as a “drama”.

poppy62, Sep 6, 9:15pm
There is also less than 7% between the top rated and the 23rd rating. So pretty good results.

franc123, Sep 6, 9:23pm
Indeed, the top 20 have done extremely well IMO in view of the complexity of modern cars. It must be alarming for the upmaket German manufacturers to be ranked amongst the likes of Jaguar and Land Rover, by any measure this isn't good given the money being asked for their wares, there was a time not that long ago that such comparisons were inconceivable. As for Tesla well we know what effect slim R&D budgets have on niche companies and their build quality, John DeLorean learnt that lesson equally as hard.

absolute_detail, Sep 6, 10:05pm
Reliability doesnt seem to be affecting sales so Id say they dont really care

harm_less, Sep 7, 1:23pm
Bit of a leap of logic there. Tesla only make EVs so can be identified from that list but despite many of the marques listed now having EV models there is no differentiation of EV vs ICE other than the Nissan Leaf being mentioned as 3rd best model overall.

supern0va, Sep 7, 1:29pm
Glad to see BMW is not to bad. I've had a great run from the ones I've owned/currently own. (Touch wood). Surprised #8 isnt near the bottom. They must have improved somewhat. And I would have thought the newer Range Rovers would have faired better too.

beno, Sep 7, 1:53pm
great to see Alfa at no 8

toenail, Sep 7, 7:06pm
https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey-2018/

For Small Car:

Least reliable: Peugeot 208 - 81.4%

What went wrong? Non-engine electrics 15%; Brakes 12%; Engine 8%; Engine electrics 8%; Gearbox/clutch 8%; Steering 8%; Bodywork 4%; Exterior lights 4%; Fuel system 4%; Interior trim 4%; Sat-nav 4%; Wheels/tyres 4%

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 8:12pm
Skoda, Alfa, Fiat are doing really well given the level of sophistication and price bracket. It is exactly what I have been finding with the newer ones. It's easy to make a simple car reliable, but another thing to make a well priced reliable car with cutting edge technology and lots of features. Obviously, Lexus do it well too, although their tech is more mainstream they do have lots of features.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 8:16pm
Also. notice how Renault is more reliable than their Japanese brand Nissan?

It's exactly what I have been observing, the Nissan branded stuff is not as well built as the Renault badged stuff. It's quite obvious to see when you look at both vehicles.

Not saying Renault is great, they are the bottom rung of the French stuff in my opinion and they also often use the same short life CVT's you see in the Nissan badged cars.

3tomany, Sep 7, 8:30pm
You could throw a blanket over the top 20 they are so close as to be irrelevant. That is the bit that surprises me.

3tomany, Sep 7, 8:31pm
I absolutely agree with this post.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 8:37pm
I haven't read all the article, but is it actually a complete list? It's not just the top X amount and then the very worst added to the list for comparison?

3tomany, Sep 7, 8:40pm
Yes would think many more brands would be more reliable than tesla, the worst.

tlng, Sep 7, 8:55pm
Also. notice how Skoda is more reliable than their German brand VW?

It's exactly what I have been observing, the VW branded stuff is not as well built as the Skoda badged stuff. It's quite obvious to see when you look at both vehicles.

Not saying Skoda is great, they are the bottom rung of the Czech stuff in my opinion and they also often use the same short life DSG's you see in the VW badged cars.

Sounds plausible .

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 8:59pm
If I remember right Skoda has their own DSG manufacturing plant and the stats on their post 2011 dry clutch models are very good. Likewise the wet clutch trans has always been a fantastic unit.
I agree though, Skoda have long been the best built of the VW group stuff.

If they are bottom rung of the Czeh stuff, what are the top rungs?

Incidentally, you might enjoy looking at the series on "Miles" the high milage skoda on youtube. Bit of fun and quite interesting.

tlng, Sep 7, 9:01pm
Just kidding!

tlng, Sep 7, 9:21pm
But in the survey, they are above Peugeot and Citroën? So maybe you should adjust your viewpoint?

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 9:45pm
I wondered, but was hoping for a really fun answer!
We shouldn't really laugh though, they still make Praga. be it with some help from the French and I would love one of those in my garage!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 9:51pm
I am going to take a punt in the dark on this one (because I haven't studied the exact failures in that article). My concern with Renault is in fairness partly unfounded (because of familiarity bias) but because that is a UK survey my expectation is most of those vehicles will be manual.

While Peugeot/Citroen did have the awful old AL4 auto for a long time the six speed they commonly use in later ones is the same as found in the Mazda 6 and is an OK unit. It is prone to mechatronic issues if not serviced but does last much much longer than the Nissan CVT's. Plus fixing it is almost always an easy job with the transmission in place.

I also find Peugeot/Citroen parts are easier to get in NZ.

That said, back in the day the Espace was a very hard vehicle to beat and I would have happily had one if I wasn't running Multipla's at the time. Also Renault have had some amazingly good deals on brand new models from time to time lately.

So yeah, a manual Renault or one running another trans, probably OK and certainly my preference over their entry level Nissan badged product.

tlng, Sep 7, 9:58pm
I'll just play it safe and buy a Suzuki or any other one of the top 5.