2008 Mazda demio yay/ nay

ryanm2, Aug 3, 5:35pm
As to my previous thread about runabout for wife. Demio’s ok? 130km on the clock, under $5k

jmma, Aug 3, 5:56pm
The only problem with them is they get stolen a fair bit, good run around :o)

thejazzpianoma, Aug 3, 6:22pm
OK but not great. You are entering 3 year old Punto budget and the Fiat will use significantly less fuel for starters. Not to mention be safer and more pleasant on the open roads.

sr2, Aug 3, 6:24pm
We've had great runs out of Demio's in our family, the Ladies love them.
It's the earlier (up to 2005?) more boxy shape that is stolen a lot, apparently the rear quarter window is easy to pop.

jmma, Aug 3, 6:25pm
:oP

westwyn, Aug 3, 6:28pm
They're a good little car- surprisingly spacious inside, they drive well and don't have any particular mechanical nasties. Some- not all- have an issue with firewall rust, they've been well and truly weeded out before being purchased in Japan as it's prohibitively expensive to repair for compliance here- importers and Japanese buyers know not to touch them.

Under $5k- go for it.

ryanm2, Aug 3, 6:34pm
it seems well priced for 2008 / updated model shape, its only a 1300cc though, no issues with the smaller engine.
There is a punto on my watchlist too.

kazbanz, Aug 3, 7:14pm
They are a really good car. Big enough not to suffer from the tiny car harshness of ride.
The 08 model is also outside of the 02-07 easily stolen range.
If the drive feels a little harsh have a look at the right top engine mount. Run your hand underneath it and see if it feels oily./wet.
The last owner probably wont know its an easy fixed fault -15 minute job to swap
that said--as always --get a full PP inspection carried out.

bazfan, Aug 4, 4:47pm
How are the CVTs on them Kaz? I’m sure that was the first and last CVT Mazda used on their mainstream cars

bazfan, Aug 4, 4:48pm
Ryanm2 have you guys driven an 08+ Honda Fit/Jazz? I liked it more than the Demio and the seat config gives you more room. A more peppy 1.3 vtec engine as well

kazbanz, Aug 4, 4:58pm
in the 08 you might have CVT or normal slushbox. The CVT is all good.

tgray, Aug 4, 8:44pm
So it's the new shape then. Sounds like a bargain at under 5K.
Get it checked before going ahead with the purchase as it seems a bit cheap.

casper35, Aug 4, 9:09pm
Awesome wee cars. We have two a 2007 and 2009.Great on gas and great for trips. Never had any issuse and are cheap to service.

gazzat22, Aug 5, 4:07pm
3 in our family.A 2004 DY was mine now SIL,s runabout /A 2007 DE Demio,Grandaughters. She looked for a Swift couldnt find one without rust.My wifes 2010 DE Demio.Hard to believe they,re only 1348 cc.Would recommend them to anybody.Economical/Comfortable-
/Reliable as around town cars which is what they were bought for.

punzeee, Aug 5, 5:19pm
are demios chain or cambelt driven? Looking at buying one to

ryanm2, Nov 3, 10:17am
We didn’t purchase it , was an ex rental and thought it was a little rough. It’s since been sold.