Electric Vehicles

Page 2 / 3
socram, Sep 25, 9:44pm
BMW/Mini electric in 2019. Land Rover electric from 2020.

bill-robinson, Sep 26, 6:26am
now you are starting to think about work and jobs and are getting the right ideas

bill-robinson, Sep 26, 7:22am
also, we have wandered off topic and should close this

two9s, Sep 26, 6:22pm
Quite a few windfarms were on the books for construction. til the ChCh earthquake meant a countrywide lack of concrete emplacers, so those projects are on hold till construction buttons off around the country. May be waiting a while!

nz_stacie, Sep 26, 9:34pm
Party vote green

billhale, Sep 17, 3:00pm
In just over 12 years time most of Europe will be banning the sale of new vehicles with Internal Combustion engines, or making them so unattractive to buy, all new sales will be Electric Vehicles. (EV). NZ will most likely follow suit.
When will Trade-Me start to offer an EV section in Cars for Sale?
Currently the Heading exists but all vehicles appear in the listings.

db.price, Sep 17, 4:02pm
Where is the link to that?

Certainly there is a move to all as having an electric component but pure EVs will be longer than 12 years most manufacturers will move to hybrid tech first before going pure electric in 20 years.

Just did a quick search and it appears that the ban will come into force 2040 for many European countries. Norway may look to ban them completely by 2025 (though that seems like a pipe dream).

tamarillo, Sep 17, 5:17pm
Yes need to fact check yourself op.
All they're aiming for is electrification, which will include hybrids.
It's a long term objective which is great as it pushes industry to invest in r&d.

framtech, Sep 17, 5:26pm
Great dream but it won't happen, fuel is cheap compared to any other way to shift 1 plus ton of vehicle down the road, people won't like being told they can't have a car powered by cheap fuels, unless they live in a big city, where it would be cheaper to use a train or bus. and dumb kiwi's think electricity will stay as cheap and chips - NOT it will get the crap taxed out of it if electric vehicles take off, most will be pushing for high user milage charges to cover the loss in petrol tax.

sr2, Sep 17, 5:38pm
With the huge investments in new energy systems being made globally I think it's too soon to be predicting where we are heading (unless you're a European politician!).

Bosch for example are developing a carbon neutral synthetic fuel (for today's I/C engines) and in fact the manufacture of this new fuel would have the effect of “sucking” excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

https://www.motoring.com.au/bosch-calls-for-carbon-neutral-fuel-108575/

buyit59, Sep 17, 5:38pm
I reckon that we pay far to much as it is for electricity now anyway . Max Bradfords 'Electricity Reforms' have not delivered anything except more high paid directors and CEO's of power companies . When was the last NEW power station built in NZ ? Have power companies been salting away money/development for the future or are we just waiting for Tiwai Point to close ( more lost jobs in the regions ) so the extra power can be soaked up elsewhere . Other countires have cheaper power than us but its probably nuclear or coal. so how does that work ?

solarboy, Sep 17, 10:10pm
I suspect most of the NEW power stations built in N Z are wind farms. Plenty of those done in recent years/decade or so and more have been planned and consented but won't be built until their output is needed.

apollo11, Sep 17, 11:04pm
They will be using electricity to make the fuel, which is then used in an IC engine, so they are effectively only realising around 20% of the original energy- less if you factor in distribution energy cost. However it is still a better idea than hydrogen fuel cells.

buyit59, Sep 18, 12:34pm
To #7 Solarboy . Where are these new stations ?. Not in the South Island . One wind turbine ( decommissioned) on Port Hills/CHC , two or three around Marlborough Hills and one that was planned for Central Otago but got scuppered by the locals .Those are the ones I can think of and hardly enough to fuel 500 rapid Leaf drivers on the green way to the latte shop .

harm_less, Sep 18, 12:51pm
There are new power stations being commissioned virtually every day in NZ. They're on consumers' roofs and are known as PV. To think of electricity needing to be generated by huge infrastructure installations is last century's way of thinking, as it is that ICE vehicles are cheap to run and sustainable.

buyit59, Sep 18, 4:35pm
To harmless #10 . Agree rooftop solar is expanding ( and a great opportunity was missed in CHC for the government to subsidize and build more after the quakes) but unless they have battery storage their use is limited . just see what power co have done to the 'buy back' price to solar suppliers . If you don't have battery then when you are charging your Leaf overnight you will be relying on whatever your power co is going to charge .

intrade, Sep 18, 4:40pm

buyit59, Sep 18, 4:41pm
New subdivision ( houses under 2 years) over our fence has about 1% of roofs will solar panels.

mals69, Sep 18, 6:25pm
Disagree, electric well established now, did you
see the new race series for the Jag Ipace ?

https://www.jaguar.com/jaguar-range/i-pace-concept-car/index.html

harm_less, Sep 18, 6:38pm
Agree that PV is struggling to progress in NZ at present and having been in the UK over the past few weeks it is disappointing to see that PV installations are far more numerous there than they are here despite us being at a lower latitude (51-59 UK vs. 35-47 NZ). Hopefully a change of government will help to improve that PV uptake.

We are in a situation where we can charge our EV during the day which is one of the reasons we got it 3 years ago but having now changed properties we are without PV (for now) so charging is best done at night on Ecotricity's low off peak rates. We plan on installing PV here in a year or two by which time storage (battery) systems will have improved enough to make them economically competitive with even off peak rates. PV, EV and storage technologies are progressing very fast so we're not concerned about largely being a spectator for the time being.

cabrio1, Sep 18, 6:50pm
ktm make an electric dirtbike
http://www.ktm.com/e-ride/

I'm in. Can they fit a towbar to a i8?

mals69, Sep 18, 7:02pm
Good stuff! Cheers for the link.

tony9, Sep 18, 7:17pm
Like most democratic govt's, UK have realised the folly of artificially stimulating unsustainable business.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/08/solar-installation-in-british-homes-falls-by-three-quarters-after-subsidy-cuts

jantar, Sep 18, 7:28pm
EVs already have a place, and I intend buying one in the near future as a commuter and shopping car. The research I have done indicates that there is no way that pure EVs of today's designs can ever replace the fossil fuel fleet.

A couple of very simple questions that I found the answers to via google in minutes:
1: How much Lithium is required to make the battery for an average EV
2. How many vehicles are there in the world?
3. How much Lithium is there in existence, either already being mined, or reserves that are known about?

There is quite a conflict in those numbers.

sr2, Sep 18, 7:36pm
I remember when CNG was "well established".