Car parts in NZ, made of gold ?

Page 3 / 3
friendly_prawn, Oct 10, 7:38pm
I went in to a timber yard to buy timber and asked it be cut to a certain size. They got the hand saw out and started sawing. I said we'll be here all day, can you go grab a skill saw? They replied with, cant, its against OSH regulations. WTF? Seriously? Cant use a skill saw in a timber yard? Yeah this country is way over the top with rules and regs and its costing us all big time.

friendly_prawn, Oct 10, 7:39pm
The very reason I some times import.

mopeds, Oct 10, 8:02pm
Recent parts I've bought online:

OEM O2 sensor from BMW NZ, $500, same part Amazon $50 US
OEM Maf sensor BMW NZ, $1500, Amazon $240 US
Toyota EFI diesel fuel pump wrecker NZ $1500, Lithuania delivered 240 euro

lookoutas, Oct 10, 8:20pm
I wouldn't know how they work. Used to expect a rule-of-thumb to be a bit over half the new price. But sometimes we are gob-smacked at their quotes. Then as mentioned, if it's an Insurance job, who gives one?
They told me that hubcap would have normally been quoted on Parts Trader at $60, so it must have been their guilt as to why they sold it to me for $30.

fordcrzy, Oct 11, 10:23am
what i cant understand is the price wreckers want for some parts such as a tail light etc and then you see dozens of these cars going into the crusher with all these "expensive parts" still on them. on another topic i needed a map sensor for a project. holden wanted over 300 bucks for one. i got from a chevy dealership in the states airfreighted over for $120 including shipping

stevexc, Oct 11, 3:53pm
8 spark plugs for my 1UZ-FE
$240 from Supercheap
$120 (NZ) including delivery from Amazon

Mother's claybar kit
$65 or more at Supercheap/Repco unless on special
$35 (NZ) delivered from Amazon

Have just used Amayama for the first time to get a small cheap part (door latch for Nissan Cedric, as the plastic sleeve had disintegrated on mine). Will certainly be using them again.

elect70, Oct 11, 4:00pm
Yep i was at GDM other day & flatening complete cars minus engine & box ,only , guess wreckers got enough to keep prices in the stratosphere , & they only pay max of$300 fior a car for wrecking . Scrap man gives you nothing

hkjoe, Oct 11, 10:57pm
I was quoted more than $80 each to re-gas boot struts for a 10 year old Mondeo. Not a wrecker, I know, but still a lot of dough. Even more to buy them from Ford in NZ. Can't get new ones from Aussie, as they didn't sell that model of Mondeo there.

barrylarry, Dec 22, 4:47pm
just keep a look out in pick-a-part, their mirrors cost $30 if you snipe a model you want