Have you used any of these to sell you car ?

dbest, Sep 4, 1:06pm
Hi all,

Looking to sell a car and would like to get people's experience on the different methods. Value is between the 7-8k range. In particular whats your experience been with any of the following?

Trademe classifieds ($70 to list)
Autotrader ($20 to list)
Park and sell / you sell (~$250/month)
Ellerslie car fair ($35)
Turners car auction. ($? )

sw20, Sep 4, 1:09pm
Trade me auction for $39 and just make sure it doesn’t sell at auction.

poppy62, Sep 4, 1:17pm
I've had most success just parked outside on the road. BUT a proper large for sale sign with Price and Year clearly visible to passing motorists is a must. The little time that passing motorists have seeing the car will only make them interested "IF" the Price is right and the Year of the car. Of course if you put the extra time in the presentation of a vehicle the 1st impression is also a huge draw card. Otherwise Trade me as SW20 says is another good outlet.

kazbanz, Sep 4, 4:44pm
1) Trade me/autotrader.-cheapest option reaches the audience same as for all other sellers/dealers included. Negatives being that price range is about 50/50 finance so not something you can offer.You have to do all the grunt work.so meet n greet the potential buyers etc etc etc.
2)car fair-same as above but needing to be there on sunday am ready to go
3)turners--they do finance inhouse and once sold you get your money.But if you are wanting retail ish money it wont happen.They also charge for every time it goes through and gets passed in
4) park n sell -easiest option but You are paying for the real estate on a monthly basis.
There is another possible option you may not have considered-OBO sale at a dealer.If you do it as a Dollars over deal then the dealer has a car in stock that owes them nothing till its sold. -They do the advertising etc for you. -The negative would be you aren't as likely to get the same money as you would putting in the effort yourself like in option 1 and 2
Basicly the more effort YOU have involved in the sale the more you are likely to see back from the car.
Word of warning--You need to be realistic in your expectations,

lythande1, Sep 4, 7:43pm
Trademe classifieds - tons of potential customers, always quick, and easy to sell through

Autotrader - not bad, less customers but of course cheaper

Park and sell / you sell never tried them, too expensive

Ellerslie car fair As above but cheaper I guess

Turners car auction. Only if you want to sell it cheap

dbest, Sep 5, 1:15pm
How does this work ? Setting a higher than usual reserve ?

alfred011, Sep 5, 10:54pm
Find a relevant section on facebook and list it there for free .

sw20, Sep 6, 7:18am
You are still allowed to put you phone number on an auction for a vehicle as people have to be able to check it over prior to auction close. So you make the reserve what you want for the vehicle, then have an optimistic buy now. Don’t muck about with a hidden reserve, start = reserve.

You may find a buyer offers you cash when they show up, so just let the auction expire.

tgray, Sep 6, 9:36am
Trademe classified all day long I reckon.
My whole business model is selling cars on here and it has worked thousands of times over 15 years.
Ask yourself - how many people do you know, that don't look on Trademe?

budgel, Oct 5, 2:50am
I never realised that Park and sell were so expensive!
Trademe has gotta be the best bet in terms of total exposure without a doubt. I live in Kaitaia and had a guy come from Christchurch to buy my Mitsi.

If it is a low priced vehicle, the local community newspaper or the supermarket
noticeboard would cost less.