Earthing strap for car sickness

Page 1 / 2
vomo2, Oct 10, 9:46pm
Is it possible to buy these anymore. And have you had success ie, no car sickness with one fitted?

framtech, Oct 10, 9:51pm
They don't do anything, car sickness is caused by the inner ear and you will find that people that let the car fling them around will feel sicker than those who watch where the car is going and tilt into corners. Thats why kids get car sick, because they are short and don't look forward, its like riding in the back of a bus, it about g force and inner ear balance.

mrfxit, Oct 11, 7:05am
Turning corners as a "square/ right angle/ sudden turns & constant rocking, (constantly slightly moving the steering wheel when not needed)" instead of a gentle curve or straight line as intended, are prime for travel sickness.

Travel sickness has several causes & how the vehicle is driven can aggravate all the triggers.
Including . Eg:
Inner ear problems (balance or pain)
Ice cream
Booze
Lots of sweets
Fizzy drinks
Full stomach
Over tired

nice_lady, Oct 11, 8:09am
Hubby used to get car sickness as a kid. He says there was pretty much nothing you could do to stop it. He still gets ill on a merry-go-round after about one or two spins. It's inner ear issue and an earth strap will do absolutely zero to help it .

tlng, Oct 11, 9:04am
My kids always get sick when travelling by car. Someone told us about a trick to use to help and it has worked. Get them to hold a lemon and a toothpick and prick the lemon and sniff it if they feel sick. Seems crazy but good results.

intrade, Oct 11, 9:55am
what works is looking out the window . i get sick reading a map in the back of a car and as kid i could not see out the window remembering ah man that just like when i was a kid motion sickness . Same thing on boats if i see the horizon its fine but go down and i start feeling wierd after a short time .
Can your kids actuarly see out the window? best forward view as the sides might go by to fast.
as per #2

serf407, Oct 11, 11:02am
It is also the driver/ car as well.
Some drivers play pedal tag on the accelerator and foot brake dab (rather than smoothly), harsh boat tiller steering wheel movements with one hand which tend to throw the passengers around.

dublo, Oct 11, 4:18pm
Years ago my wife and one of our sons used to hate the Parapara road between Wanganui and Raetihi - lots of windy road, up hill and down dale just following the original horse and cart track- even when I drove fairly gently. Finally gave them a sickness-free ride by taking the road at what I call "Morris Eight" speed, ie VERY gently and slowly!

gazzat22, Oct 11, 4:25pm
The earth strap was supposedly to stop Static electricity in some cars which gave some people a mild electric shock when alighting from the car.

lookoutas, Oct 11, 5:44pm
So the moral here is 'No going down while out in the boat'

gammelvind, Oct 11, 7:43pm
Chezel chuck is very unsightly and fills the doorhandles, speakers and black carpet.

wizzbikz, Oct 11, 8:12pm
Are you a left foot braker ?

galex, Oct 16, 1:37pm
Probably no good for car sickness but if you still want an anti static strap SuperCheap Auto sell them, and there is also one or more on TradeMe at present

gsimpson, Oct 16, 1:51pm
Doesn't work for that either.

gazzat22, Oct 16, 3:01pm
I know that but it was a phsycological thing and amazingly stopped the static electricity giving a "BELT when exiting a car. And i did say "Supposedly"

ceebee2, Oct 19, 9:54am
A very effective car sickness remedy is to purchase the wrist bands from your chemist. They are reusable and work on pressure points so no chemicals.

kandjaja, Oct 22, 3:34pm
Earthing strap for car sickness? . thats right up there with Peter Brocks 'polarizer'.

mojo49, Oct 22, 7:04pm
They were actually quite popular in the 1960s for car sickness. They didn't work but it did not stop the urban myth.

wizid, Oct 23, 2:44pm
so thats whats wrong with me car lol

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 23, 2:51pm
Ginger pills.

Cured mine.

mojo49, Oct 23, 4:15pm
Where in the car did you insert them?

nice_lady, Oct 23, 4:24pm
In the floor well between the back and front seats where no-one could see this 'insertion process' ?

thejazzpianoma, Oct 23, 4:33pm
If it's a serious problem, consider buying a convertible. My wife used to get quite car sick driving the gorge through to Gisborne which we did quite often. We never seemed to have any problem in the convertible though.

There are some lovely practical and affordable convertible's around nowadays so it's not necessarily a silly idea.

(Insert obligatory top off jokes here)

thejazzpianoma, Oct 23, 4:35pm
Also. the car sickness strap can make a good placebo. So you could try making one out of any old thing you have lying around and see what happens (assuming it's not you who get's sick or the person in question hasn't read this).

gamefisher, Dec 16, 12:53am
To overcome you need to look where you are going basically and it is difficult to achieve sitting in the back seat of a car or reading a book. Similar to boats and plane.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness