Honda Jazz or Mazda 2

manolo, Jul 8, 8:18pm
Looking to spend under $8k

I like the series 2 Jazz/Fit but not sure what transmissions these run as the first ones were not the best example of a CVT. The DY Demio looks ok and reliable but the 4spd auto is a little underwhelming. The newer Demio /2 doesn't have much luggage space so it's out.

Looking at both these cars in the weekend I'm surprised by how much space they have for a small car. Also can these imports be run on 91?

thejazzpianoma, Jul 8, 10:21pm
The Honda Jazz is quite a disappointment. It's very cheaply built and not up to Honda's usual standard in my opinion. Not only has the CVT been a disaster but there are other stilly problems with them. Like routing, ignition and signal wires close together which causes silly problems. Overall, quite cheap and nasty IMO.

There are much better options than both of those.

djrandomguy, Jul 8, 10:58pm
Jazz has a great load space with back seats down but in every other way the Mazda is better imo. The transmisson shudders in the CVT hondas are a real buzzkill

bryshaw, Jul 8, 11:02pm
We looked at a Mazda 2 and were disappointed with the very plain and cheap interior. Honda motors are legendary, even with the 1.3 they go like a rocket, but both have road noise which I guess you come to expect in a smaller car. Manuals do have less problems with transmissions, but Mazda has had its share with the 2 model autos.

bryshaw, Jul 8, 11:04pm
Go manual if it is just a runaround.

kazbanz, Jul 9, 7:24am
Monolo-just to clarify at first . There is and was nothing wrong with the actual transmission in the jazz/fit. The issue was/is the starter clutch that allows the car to sit idling at lights etc. THAT part was changed for the generation 2 Fit/jazz.
The DY demio 1500 is not bad at all to drive --especially with the manual box some sports come with.
Another alternative might be the Toyota Ractis 1500. -TONNES of easy accessable load space 1500vvti engine -heck some of them even have cruise control

datoofairy, Jul 9, 7:28am
I have a Mazda 2 and wouldnt recommend it. It has a huge blind spot which make it bloody dangerous at intersections. No matter where you have the seats positioned, the back of the front passenger seat always lines up with the pillars on the passenger side to make a wide area you cant see around. So you have to spend so long carefully checking for traffic that way, that by the time you have made sure nothing is coming that way, something ends up coming the other way. I didnt notice this about my car when I test drove it, only after I'd bought it.

buyit59, Jul 9, 11:52am
Agree with Kazbanz .

peanuts37, Jul 9, 12:31pm
Honda Jazz/Fit with torque converter CVT, if serviced well a reliable unit. Just got to look how many still on road including the series 1 with old CVT. If serviced they seem to have lasted well also.

andy61, Jul 9, 12:37pm
We have had a DY Demio and while it was an ok car ,it was a bit hard on petrol and lacking in power(our was the 1.5),we replaced the Demio with a 2009 1.3 Fit/Jazz, wow what car that was, plenty of power(faster and smoother than the Demio), so economical, roomy and dependable. The 2008+ Jazz didnt suffer from the shudder that the earlier Jazz suffered from.We had 4 years of totally total free motoring, in fact we were so happy with it we have just updated to the very latest shape Fit/Jazz, and so far very impressed with it too. Take what the Japanese car hater/Eurocar lover Jazzpianoma with a pinch of salt. He will tell you that you must get a Fiat Panda ! Couldn`t think of a worst car than Fiats lol. Also the nz new Jazz (2008+)were fitted with a normal auto transmission(not CVT).

peanuts37, Jul 9, 12:44pm
All NZ new Jazz autos are CVT.

andy61, Jul 9, 1:19pm
Are you sure? Honda NZ did advertise them with normal autos, they were also sold in England with normal autos, I not talking about the latest 2014+ Jazz

peanuts37, Jul 9, 1:29pm
Never seen one sold new here, was a 5 speed auto for certain markets and also a 4WD model.

mals69, Jul 9, 1:51pm
Honda any day over a cheap build quality mazda!

gettinggrey, Jul 9, 1:57pm
Andy61 is correct.
Our NZ new 2013 Jazz Sport was a normal auto gearbox.
We had a 2005 (also bought new) previously and that was CVT (which shuddered, but was sorted by Honda).
Because of the CVT worry we made sure our new (at the time) Jazz Sport was a normal auto.

lazzo, Nov 29, 5:54pm
I own a Series 2 Honda Jazz 1.5, it serves as a runabout come hack vehicle which I use to do all the donkey work I don't want to do with my better more expensive vehicles.

When originally purchased I also looked at the Mazda2 but the Honda was a no brainer. I don't believe the Mazda compares even remotely to the Honda Jazz, the Jazz is far better build quality and certainly MUCH more versatile, has a more spacious interior, and have you even seen those Honda Magic Seats at work? they really are just magic and have been the very reason why this car pretty much serves as a little ute for me, I have got items in the back of it that you just wouldn't imagine would even fit!

I started off running 91 Octane in it but later changed to 98 Octane and I feel it runs better on the 98, I can't speak about fuel economy because I don't care about economy, I just fill it up when it's empty, but I can say it is definitely a fuel-miser!

I admit the car has not at all been well looked after, at times it has been driven hard, its got plenty of supermarket battle scars, just jump in and turn the key and it goes about its business, it has rarely even been washed. I have, however, serviced the car as and when required by the book, I believe this is important in ensuring Honda engine reliability and longevity. In all the time I have owned the Jazz it has never put me wrong, not even the smallest teeny weeny little thing has gone wrong with it and when I decide to replace this hard working champion I would have to look most favourably at another Jazz for all the same reasons.

You will read posts from people who have opinions, but as an owner and someone with real time experience with the car in question, I've been down this road before, you can take it from me you will not be disappointed with the Honda.