Wellington petrol prices

Page 1 / 2
dublo, Sep 10, 8:43am
Taking a trip to Wellington next month. I am used to paying about $1-75 per litre for 91 octane up here in the BoP (less 8 cents discount at challenge station if I wave my Supergold card.) Being tightarsed (even a surgeon told me that was my problem) I plan to top up the tank before we reach the Wellington area prices. What is the the last town before Wellington where you can buy petrol at realistic prices?

stevo2, Sep 10, 8:46am
We went down there from the BoP earlier in the year and found Otaki was still reasonably priced. Welly's was bloody expensive and we had to fill up there as well. Filled up again at Otaki on the way home.

dublo, Sep 10, 8:51am
Thanks, Steve02, I had guessed that the Horowhenua area would be about the last at realistic prices but wondered how far south we could get.

eslnz.com, Sep 10, 8:56am
Levin is cheaper than Otaki by around 10-12c. (Gull usually cheapest). Theres a Waitomo at Foxton which is often cheaper again.

dublo, Sep 10, 9:01am
Waitomo? That's a new name to me! We used to buy Gull up here but stopped when it became loaded with 10% ethanol.

woki, Sep 10, 9:07am
Upper hutt , rimutaka Caltex has the dearest fuel in NZ 91ulp is $1.98c !

nice_lady, Sep 10, 9:18am
The android app gaspy is helpful. It will only show station prices within a max of 50km though.

eslnz.com, Sep 10, 9:19am
Yep, they are usually the cheapest.

Prepay self service only.

There is one at Turangi (South end after leaving town), one at Bulls (on the Wanganui Rd), and one at Foxton in the middle of town.

tfc3, Sep 10, 9:33am
Nope $2.049 in Dunedin, we are subsidising cheap North Island prices.

vtecintegra, Sep 10, 9:36am
That isn't even true in the region - the Wellington prices are around 2.049 right now dropping to 1.989 once you get out to Johnsonville-ish distance from town

likit, Sep 10, 10:10am
Same for Chch yet Amberley to the north & Rakaia & Ashvegas are both cheaper than Chch.

exwesty, Sep 10, 11:55am
Download the GASPY app on to your smartphone. You can see the prices anywhere in the country and it'll tell you the trends and whose cheapest.

The cheapest 91 is at Allied Levin $1.749 and last reported 1 hr ago.
Dunedin for instance is showing as $2.029 at Pak N Save from 21 hrs ago.

The fuel prices are crowd sourced by people tapping their phones as they are at a service station or driving by.

exwesty, Sep 10, 12:02pm
NPD in Hornby is cheaper than Amberly @1.969 but the app does not take account of any savings you may get by using a supermarket fuel discount or by purchasing over $40 to get 6 cents off such as at BP, Caltex, Mobil etc.

I had the choice of paying up to 1.32 for diesel in Wellington this week but instead I filled up north of the city when I came in and again when I left. Saving around $15 on each fill.

davidmoore, Sep 10, 1:11pm
thru there the other nite, fill up at Foxton

dublo, Sep 10, 3:37pm
What fascinating range of prices! Remember when there were fixed prices all over the country (and during the so-called fuel crisis in late 1970s the service stations were closed at weekends, 80 km/h speed limit and carless days. )
Thanks for all of the good advice.

db.price, Sep 10, 4:13pm
Levin or Foxton.

db.price, Sep 10, 4:15pm
Wow that is cheap! Try Wainuiomata $2.06c for 91!

buyit59, Sep 10, 5:26pm
So the petrol companies can not use transport costs as a price reason because it all comes through enters Canterbury through Christchurch ( well Lyttelton to be exact ). also why do they persist with a price that you can not pay legal tender for . ie $2.049 . It is not possible to pay .9 of a cent using any form of transaction. just round it up to the next cent $2.05 and be done with it you deceitful mongrels !

gammelvind, Sep 10, 5:31pm
You do know that it is only Gull 98 that has ethanol, the 91 that you are wanting is standard petrol.

http://gull.nz/fuel/

movnon, Sep 10, 8:15pm
I went down to Welly last week, $1.73 in Levin, anything from $1.74 to $2.02 around Wellington! Just dont run dry around town it could be a wet windy walk.

gblack, Sep 10, 8:38pm
Never really seen too much point in agonizing over which station to buy from. Admittedly my usual fill up on the bike is 12 to 15 litres, but even when putting 30-40 litres or more into the car, something like 5 or 6 cpl difference between my local stations, really only works out as couple of dollars every couple of weeks. So, call me lazy, but even if though the local Gull is a wee bit cheaper I tend to grab gas from a station on the way like the Mobil where I can tap n pay at the pump without removing helmet.

I get the original posters did say they were tight, but could probably save a few bucks in gas costs by not going out of there way too much and eco driving

comsolve, Sep 10, 8:48pm
Still ~NZ$1.00 per litre for 91 here in Davao, Philippines.

mber2, Sep 11, 1:02pm
Cant even make it 5cents as they are no more the same as 1 cent so it is 10 cents or nothing

mber2, Sep 11, 1:03pm
Well there you go op just fill up in the Phillippines

sw20, Sep 11, 1:26pm
Just don't get mistaken for a drug dealer or someone that Duterte doesn't like.