Has anyone got WINZ help for buying a car?

phoenixgirl365, Aug 25, 2:09pm
x1
I've heard that WINZ will help people on the sickness benefit (like me) with the costs of buying a new car, but I don't know how to apply or what form to ask for. Has anyone else successfully got a grant to buy a car? How did you get approved and how much of the cost did they cover? I would be so grateful for any help or suggestions! Cheers :)

gunhand, Aug 25, 2:32pm
Well I'm no expert on these matters but this is NZ so anything is possible. The best bet would be simply to ask them as them as no doubt being NZ they take all sorts of things into account before handing out money. If you fit into one category they will probably do back flips to help, if you fit into another you may be shown the door. Winz is pro like IRD though, never get the same person twice or the same answer to the same question twice.

melp6, Aug 25, 3:17pm
No, they don't give grants to buy cars. Salvation Army give loans and that can be an option

There is an allowance called "Temporary Additional Support" that in some cases can cover the cost of car repayments. Usually for those that got a car before being on the benefit, but *sometimes* for medical or family matters

flack88, Aug 25, 3:22pm
A few years ago the head of the Road Knights got new tyres for his Dodge Srt hemi,from WINZ so anything possible,do you want a brand new car?!

kazbanz, Aug 25, 3:53pm
phoenixgirl I can tell you 100% for certain the answer is no. BUT that is my answer to your very specific question.
BUT do they fund a loan once you have it-YES.
Its a really weird situation.
WINZ will not give you the money nor in writing commit to giving you the money so you can apply for a loan from a finance company.
A finance company won't give you a loan unless you are showing sufficient clear income on your CURRENT benefit to pay the loan.
Cle4ar income AFTER all bills paid needs to be about $250/week.
There is one way around it.
You get verbal approval from your case worker.-Again they will only pay an existing loan,
You go to your bank and apply for a personal loan .Use the money from the personal loan to pay for the car. Then go back to winz.
Its the only way I have ever seen what you want happen.

ginks, Aug 25, 4:39pm
Ring Jacinda PM ,she hands out money freely to anyone. Seems to have plenty to give out ,even for a bike bridge at Auckland.

mals69, Aug 25, 8:48pm
With full payouts to people in ChCh who had no insurance,
anything possible with this government.

tegretol, Aug 26, 12:08am
Nonsense.

Tell us who got paid out while Nats were in power.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 4:12pm
hey im NOT a just in there fan boy in any way. BUT the bridge under the harbour bridge has been happening for the past four years.

edangus, Aug 31, 4:25pm
I believe you used to be able to get assistance with Disability but not Sickness.

tshop, Aug 31, 6:07pm
No only Funerals I think?

flack88, Oct 11, 6:09am
They will pay for repairs,you see workshops saying winz quotes.